T/O bearing issue??

Lycaon1349

strange thing i noticed this morning driving into work. ive noticed it before but it was prominant this morning for some reason. when i pull up to a traffic light with my foot on the clutch, in gear and my foot off the brake after coming to a stop, the car will pulse forward as if im momentarily allowing the clutch to drag on the flywheel. this happens with the clutch pedal at any throw, light or foot to the floor. i also will occasionally have problems shifting into gear while in motion, like it will miss gear or be sticky and really difficult to get into gear, occasionally free spinning so bad that itll grind if i try to force it. this is only randomly however, most of the time its pretty well behaved, i dont know if its related to the clutch issue or not but it seems to me like it could be.

Anyone ever see this before? any insight as to what i should do, or do i need a new clutch kit or t/o bearing?

I have seen 2 versions of this. 1. Throwout bearing is mis-adjusted or bad. 2. The pilot bearing cold be going bad and causing the input shaft to turn with the crankshaft instead of spinning freely in the crank hub.
MikeH

I had heard about the bearing being out of adjustment before, i was picking up a part from another member nearby and was talking to him about his car doing the same thing and he said he tried to shim it but it didnt really work, so maybe a clutch job is in order? how bad are the m5r2-rke's to take out?

SLAVE CYLINDER! thats what i meant, this whole time ive been calling it a T/O bearing, not that the t/o couldnt be a culprit in this as well but the slave cylinder could be an issue in all this no?

2. The pilot bearing cold be going bad and causing the input shaft to turn with the crankshaft instead of spinning freely in the crank hub.

this sounds like what would cause the car to pulse forward, cause if the bearing is sticking it would cause it to grab intermittently like that as the crank rotates around

I would try bleeding the clutch line first. If it has a little air bubble in it, the slave cyl might not push the clutch fingers far enough to disengage the clutch completely. It is a sealed system, but if it ran low previously, this is a possibility.

If the previous owner replaced the clutch and had the flywheel turned, it could be that the slave cylinder was not shimmed to make up the difference. How far does the pedal travel before the clutch disengages (well, at least mostly)?

If you have to take it apart and add shims behind the slave, be careful not to add too many - you just want to make up any difference created from the flywheel material that was removed. I bought a low-miles, used clutch and aluminum flywheel a few years back from a guy on here...both were on track to being ruined messed up because the slave was over-shimmed...thanks buddy. :rolleyes:

it releases relatively close to the top, i dont have to hammer it to the floor to disengage it. it just does the intermittant catch thing every so often when im sitting at a traffic light. it doesnt seem to be conditional which is the confusing part, it seems to happen randomly which to me means that it shouldnt be something within the hydraulic system itself because that would cause it to be consistant. same with shimming, it seems like it would happen all the time if an area of the system were out of adjustment.

the more i think about it the more, the pilot bearing sticking makes sense because that has the probablility of being random. does that make sense? im still confused about the shifter issue though, it sticks going into, and sometimes coming out of gear, mostly at low speeds. anyone have any insight into that? im planning on getting the B&M shifter soon, i dont know if that is something that would rectify the issue, or if its just going to amplify the problem being a tighter shift ratio...??????? :confused::confused::confused:

......the more i think about it the more, the pilot bearing sticking makes sense because that has the probablility of being random. does that make sense? im still confused about the shifter issue though, it sticks going into, and sometimes coming out of gear, mostly at low speeds. anyone have any insight into that?...? :confused::confused::confused:

if the input shaft starts spinning (slowly) the syncros may be just a little out. Especially if you stop the car, put it in N and release the clutch pedal with the engine running.
Mine use to have the shift deal when in N, pedal released, and let the car roll a little.....then try to put it into gear, I would have to roll the car sometimes to get the shifter to move. (130 Kmi -hard ones) the syncros were starting to give it up. As far as the slave needing shimmed, I don't think so, 0.020" is not gonna make a diff between the slave and master in an SC. There is more than enough travel in both. I would look at both the pilot bearing and the Throw-out bearing........since, in order to look at either one the tranny has to come out. Look for leaks and fix them if you find them. Good Luck,
MikeH

I would look at both the pilot bearing and the Throw-out bearing........since, in order to look at either one the tranny has to come out. Look for leaks and fix them if you find them. Good Luck,
MikeH

thats what i was thinking, figure while im in there i may as well throw a stage 1 in while ive got it all apart

Back