Does this seem right ???????

Ballman

:confused: On my 90SC, the drivers side valve cover has a vent type tube that crosses over to the MAF area, My cone air filter had alot of oil crap and looked like now it is coming from this tube from the valve cover , so I took it off and re-ran the tube just to vent out , I do see alot,, just fog type air coming out , is this OK to do or is there something wrong ?? Let me know what ideas you guys may have on this, its a nice built engine , but I do not run it hard at all, has around 20K miles on it . Thanks for any HELP . :confused:

Sounds odd for a new engine. Normally you wouldnt see much of anything coming from there, unless the engine had a bit of blow by.

That tube should be connected to a nipple on your intake tube between the MAF and the throttle body. Comes from the PCV valve in the rocker cover on the drivers side.
Alan

Just to add: the tube NEEDS to be connected into the air intake, since it is metered air (has been accounted for by the MAFS), otherwise, it's essentially an air leak.

Some oil mist may make it's way over to the intake tube normally, but not much. Assuming you have a oiled type filter...are you sure it's not just dirty? Wherever the fresh(dirty) air hits the filter the most, it can look pretty oily and nasty after awhile.

The vent tube should be the side of the motor where the PCV valve draws in, not pushes it out. I would check to see if your PCV valve is functioning properly. Blow-by is typically checked on the PCV side not the vent side. I'll almost bet the PCV valve is not functioning properly. That tube is actually the suction side.

The vent tube should be the side of the motor where the PCV valve draws in, not pushes it out. I would check to see if your PCV valve is functioning properly. Blow-by is typically checked on the PCV side not the vent side. I'll almost bet the PCV valve is not functioning properly. That tube is actually the suction side.

I agree.

David

Vent

OK, I will check out the other side , pass. side and see if all looks and is working, as for now the nipple over by the MAF I did put a plug on it , so air flow should not change, and i guess should not give the MAF a weird reading . I know the other side , Pass. side , does have 2 fitting but not sure what they go to, I will try to take one of the lines off and see if I feel any vac, ,, If I do my guess is that all is good on that side . yes my Cone filter had just way too much oil crap inside it , was dripping and not sure for how long, looking at it may have been awhile , so what would cause so much blow by ?? Thanks for all the replys too , and hope this will be an easy fix . DW........ Ballman32@aol.com

Vent

OK, went out to check the Pass.side PCV and even changed it out from my other 90SC , as I did this , I started the car and then pulled the PCV out of its hole and from there I see alot of fog coming out, Im not sure if this much should be coming out , what do you guys think ?? Also the PCV vale was working, so I do have Vac . from there . So now What ??? .......Thanks.. DW

HBTW - does the engine use oil? That is another good indicator. If your engine doesn't leak oil and you don't have to add oil in between changes (more than a quart per 3,000 miles) then I would not worry about it at all.

Last edited:
vent

I dont think it is using oil, the back exhaust tips I checked and their both dry,, some black carbon , not much , but thats it . I will check my other 90SC and see if it does the same thing, just looks to me like too much is pushing out at either the vac. side or the pass. side vent . had 1 guy say it could be the rings , I hope not . It was a built motor and have had it now for around 8 years, but dont drive it much, nice sunny days or a car show . had all the old Bill Hull stuff, if you guys remember him . from way back . let me know on what you guys think . thanks. DW

I dont think it is using oil, the back exhaust tips I checked and their both dry,, some black carbon , not much , but thats it . I will check my other 90SC and see if it does the same thing, just looks to me like too much is pushing out at either the vac. side or the pass. side vent . had 1 guy say it could be the rings , I hope not . It was a built motor and have had it now for around 8 years, but dont drive it much, nice sunny days or a car show . had all the old Bill Hull stuff, if you guys remember him . from way back . let me know on what you guys think . thanks. DW

Again if your engine isn't consuming oil I would not worry about it. Excessive ring blow-by is usually coupled with the engine burnign oil. If you aren't adding oil in between changes then I would say you are fine.

If it's a cold engine we're talking about here, what you might actually be seeing is a little vapor from condensation in the crank case.

how to fix this ??

OK, so far , not really using oil , but seem to have a bad drip on my real main seal area ,,,,,,,,, so what is the deal with that and can this be fixed, I heard that it can be fixed , but need to know for sure , any idea,s ?????????? its a 5 speed . Thanks for any HELP .......... D.Wilder

Blow by ?????

OK, how does the real main seal leak , along with the blow by happen . Im not sure I under stand this . Thanks for any help too . need to get this fixed . DW

Back