First time with code reader

Chris Ashford

Hi All,

First off thanks to all the posters on this site. The search tool is a treasure trove of info for an XR7 newbie like me.

Car is 1989 XR7 stock except for deleted cats, cone filter, 5% OD on SC.

Codes pulled: KOEO 67, 82

Codes in continues memory : 41, 67, 82.

Any and all thoughts and advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

41 lean right side ox sensor could be the sensor or vacuum leek
67 cluch/netural safty switch (will the car start in gear?)
82 Supercharger By-pass Solenoid check solenoid/connection
I think the 82 code will put the car in limp mode limiting timing to 10degs
http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html

Last edited:
Thanks Motohead,
Bookmarked your link for future reference.
The code 67 clutch safety switch, I've never noticed a problem as the car will not turn over without depressing the clutch in neutral or any gear, am I missing the point?
At the moment the problems I've encountered are, sometimes the car fires up fine other times I have to crank it with gas on the floor for 5-15 seconds for it to start, when it does it's obviously very rich/flooded and stumbles for a few seconds before running right. Next, in stop an go traffic idle is kinda 'off', tack will vary between 800-1200 rpm at a stop light. Last, and this I attribute to a bad starter, every so often I get nothing out of the starter when I turn the key, tapping it with a hammer will so far get me going but unless someone tells me otherwise I'm going to get it rebuilt this weekend.
Also going to troll these forums for info on the SC solenoid.

Also what/where is the super charger bypass solenoid? the haynes manual I have makes no mention of it.

It was only on the 89s (was discontinued on later years deemed unnessary). My understanding is that it helped speed uo the vaccume operated bypas yours may have been removed.

Hard starting may be your injectors leeking run the car for a few minutes to preasureize the fule rail turn off the engine wait 5 min and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail should be close to 40psi
Engine coolent temp sensor could be the culpret (But that usually throws a code)

Last edited:
41 lean right side ox sensor could be the sensor or vacuum leek
67 cluch/netural safty switch (will the car start in gear?)
82 Supercharger By-pass Solenoid check solenoid/connection
I think the 82 code will put the car in limp mode limiting timing to 10degs

Code 67, was the car in gear when you ran the codes? Then if yes Disregard that Code
Code 82, It's more of a Vacuum dump "valve" for the By-pass Solenoid.
In regards i have a '89 XR7 with it, and a '91 SC without (mind you it was only on the '89 Cars) that the boost on the '89 comes on more instant on certain "roll on" (when you slowly apply throttle) to accelerate to pass or to increase speed. IE the Vac/Boost gauge drops to 0 and climbs into the positive pressure sooner under the same basic "light load" then in my '91 which still would have vacuum under the same basic load

in regards to location of it, it's under the back side of the front shock tower, also i can't see that one causing the car to go into limp mode?

Thanks 91 XR7,
Ya the car would have been in gear for the test.
For the 82 I'll check the connections, clear codes and hope for the best:)
Will be picking up fuel pressure gauge Monday to check for leaking injectors.
Once again this forum has helped open a newbies eyes.

Back