Rotor coating question

FinnBird

Wife has 94 SC and I'm doing head gasket swap and little porting same time. I disassembled charger and coating has peeled a lot. I could get rotors recoated but can you remove and reinstall them so rotor timing won't alter. Or should i just peel the rest of coating too.

Attachments

• rotors.jpg
    rotors.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 464
You could just put them back in. The coating is a powdercoat, aircraft paint remover in the spray can should remove it. But I believe it will oxidize the aluminum rotors. And I wouldn't want it getting near my bearings.

If I remember right the distance between lobes without coating is .015" for the coated type rotors. Blower won't be as efficient, but will function ok.

Rotor timing isn't an issue on these blowers.

My rotors looks like this,still working well and making nice boost,I´m going to run them with 20% od.

2183243150095556310S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just scored a '99 GTP coated rotor pack out of the junk yard for $21.39 yesterday. Maybe you could do the same?

They've still got a very nice coating on them and the bearings are tight.

My white car has rotors that look like the one in your picture. They seem to be holding up just fine.

1st and foremost rotor coating is not powder coat, its teflon based coating that was put on by eaton the reason it comes off is it gets old and the surface wasnt prepped properly when it was done new. I just had new coating put on my rotors and put new bearings and seals in the bearing plate and the rotors retimed this can all be done for arond 250 us plus shipping and about another 150 for the snout and case bearings.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114075

Last edited:
90coug:
"I just scored a '99 GTP coated rotor pack out of the junk yard for $21.39 yesterday. Maybe you could do the same?"

Damn,that´s cheap! :eek:

Here in Finland,You can´t find GTP:s laying around junk yards,if find any,prices of a parts are insane high.

I would buy right a way few sets of them even with a $50 for a set...

Last edited:
Right on for sportin' the Super Coupe in Finland!

I bet its tuff finding parts. Only reason I got my set so cheap was because of a sale the Junk Yard was having for Independence Day.

Best of luck on your search, I've heard they can still be purchased new from an Eaton supplier. You should be okay with the continuance of your current set.

<br>
<br>

You could just put them back in. The coating is a powdercoat, aircraft paint remover in the spray can should remove it. But I believe it will oxidize the aluminum rotors. And I wouldn't want it getting near my bearings.

If I remember right the distance between lobes without coating is .015" for the coated type rotors. Blower won't be as efficient, but will function ok.

Rotor timing isn't an issue on these blowers.

Tony I dont know where you are getting your information on the rotor packs out of the m90 supercharger but the coating they put on the gen 3 rotor pack is a teflon based coating similar to the coating on high performance piston skirts. The timing of any rotor pack and all of the case tolerences are extremely important in not only making the supercharger push boost as it is supposed to but to create less heat and last much longer. Rotor iming is probably the most important thing about an eaton m90 supercharger.

Back