school me on roller rockers

Lycaon1349

looking into getting a set of these:

http://www.harlandsharp.com/ford_v6_v8.htm

im looking for the easiest path for install ill assume going with the 1.73 ratio will require the least amount of adjustment. im looking for direct bolt on appliance, im not interested in taking any of the engine apart which is why im not jumping into getting a new cam just yet. anyone install these before? perhaps a writeup you can throw me a link for? thanks guys

I have these in a 1.8 non adjustable but I think the 1.73 is the stock ratio so? not going to really make alot of difference in performance for quite a bit of work? I think you would need to run 1.8s on a stock setup to see any diffrence.

Save your money for something that's actually going to add power.

David

roger that, thats the kind of truthful opinion i was looking for, haha. so maybe the 1.8s would be a good addition when i do open up the engine for some internal modification as a means of valvetrain durability, yes? but nothing for a quick bolt on deal

1.8's would give you some more lift. But quite honestly with a car revving under 6,000 rpms I dont see a need for roller rockers at all. Just one more thing to go wrong. Even with a cam. On an SC I have used the stock rockers shimmed with aftermarket or reground cams with great success. And with a cam you dont really need those 1.8's

noted, id be looking at roller lifters and some high rate springs too but if youre thinkin i dont need them then im good with the advice

Quote from an engine builder:
Lower friction/heat the oil less, can handle higher spring loads, may provide more consistent ratios, may or may not be higher ratio than stock, weigh more, don't necessarily add ANY power to the engine, require much less oil and therefore oil supply to the upper valvetrain can be greatly reduced and thus oil control can be improved.

Quote from an engine builder:
Lower friction/heat the oil less, can handle higher spring loads, may provide more consistent ratios, may or may not be higher ratio than stock, weigh more, don't necessarily add ANY power to the engine, require much less oil and therefore oil supply to the upper valvetrain can be greatly reduced and thus oil control can be improved.

you got that right about reducing the amount of oil needed for the valve train. We used to cut the oil to head completely for our pure drag race applictions. Each rocker arm had a grease fitting installed and prior to each run we would shoot a shot of grease into each rocker. Of course this wouldn't work at all for a street application but it did help for short quick runs. :)

roger that, thats the kind of truthful opinion i was looking for, haha. so maybe the 1.8s would be a good addition when i do open up the engine for some internal modification as a means of valvetrain durability, yes? but nothing for a quick bolt on deal

No..you would be better off installing a mild cam that will work with your stock valves, springs and rockers.

There are three main things that are going to make more power on an SC motor: Better flowing heads, more agressive cam and an upgraded supercharger. Nearly everything else is just done to support those mods.

If you are looking for easy bolt on mods that you can feel by seat of the pants: Install a 5% OD jackshaft pulley, a set of Underdrive pulleys and a less restrictive resonator. If you still have some money left over, some gears would be my next suggestion. Switching to a set of 3.73 gears in an automatic equipped SC will make the car feel about 500 lbs lighter.

David

noted, id be looking at roller lifters and some high rate springs too but if youre thinkin i dont need them then im good with the advice

You already have roller lifters. Improving the springs might give you something ... but I wouldn't mess with them until you have a better cam.

Switching to a set of 3.73 gears in an automatic equipped SC will make the car feel about 500 lbs lighter.

David

mines a 5 spd and i actually just switched to a 3.27 carrier, i love it, so much better than the stock 2.73s

You already have roller lifters.

ooo did not know that, im still relatively new to these cars as far as the internals go, did a headgasket on my first SC but that was as far as i got into it. so this is my learning car, haha

Back