Will my motor live with this blower???

turboken

As of 5 mins ago, my 93 SC has 111811 miles on it. It was a rental car with Hertz. I hear a whine (and not the blower) that comes and goes as the vac guage passes 20 inches of mercury(kinda sounds like whiney gears, but not). This is only in gear. I'm thinking nose bearing in the supercharger. If I wanted to get the magnum powers upgraded 94-95 blower that was ported, would that overpower this "old" motor? Would it also require (yes it would respond better, but does it need it) exhaust mods? This is my daily driver, so i cant have it breaking down. I dont want to put a new blower on, and crap out a ring or something like that. thanks for the input guys!! keep boosting!!

"If only my SC pulled 20PSI like my TC" ;-)

If you have the stock exhaust I wouldn't do it. You need to at least nix the resonator and put on some decent mufflers. The resonator is the single largest restriction in the system. It is pinched down at the outlet.

I have a CAI, 73mm MAF and a 10% pulley and an opened up exhaust system on my 90 SC and have been running it like that for about one year without any problems. I have a 70mm TB that I just purchased but I haven't put it on yet. I am also interested in the Magnum Powers combo but I'm trying to buy a 95 SC as we speak. :D I should know today if I got it.

Just my .02

Bob

Look before you leap

Take off the SC belt and drive the car to see if the noise is still there. The noise could be coming from somewhere else. When your blower bearings get bad, you usually hear it all of the time. So if yours is happening only while under load, I would look elsewhere. Like tensioners, belts, water pump, etc. good luck

with my belt off ( it was the worst belt on the car when i got it) if I turn the blower by hand, it makes a sound (I would say metal on metal) probablly for about 15 degrees of rotation.
????

blower???

You can rebuild the snout yourself for about $70. Or you can go for the MP option but I don't know the cost of that, but I do know that your exhaust will need to be upgraded first, or you may blow a head gasket. It is safe to drive your car without the SC belt, you just won't have the power that you are used to.

If you decide to rebuild it yourself, let me know because I have all of the parts and details you need in a kit for $60. You can contact me directly at: gipsonj@juno.com

Back