engine swap?

Metalcorpse

hi guys, i have a 93 cougar xr7 with a 3.8l v6. no its not supercharged (sorry) but i was wondering if i can do an engine swap for a 5.0 and still fit it under the hood. my engine is old and my belief is that it would be more costly to rebuild it than to just get a new engine.

i was hoping for more power, feels like its being pulled by a dog...if anything, what would my next move be for more power?

Yes I believe you can. I remember seeing this on sccoa and the car was an xr7. Sorry can't remember the link. All I remember was a decal azzkicker cars. It's on here somewhere. As far as going for more power you don't know what your missing running a supercharged v6. Tons of options too. Also check out coy miller race engines. Good luck on your project.

hi guys, i have a 93 cougar xr7 with a 3.8l v6. no its not supercharged (sorry) but i was wondering if i can do an engine swap for a 5.0 and still fit it under the hood. my engine is old and my belief is that it would be more costly to rebuild it than to just get a new engine.

i was hoping for more power, feels like its being pulled by a dog...if anything, what would my next move be for more power?

The 5.0 was an option for that car in 93. So it would definitely fit. It is very similar to the 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0 engine. If you are going to go through all of the trouble for an engine swap you would be best served with the 3.8 Supercharged plant. it works del in our cars and there are more performance options available.

ry thanks for the info that it can be done

90sc, the main reason i wanted to swap was the torque and horsepower, i understand superchargers will make it fly, but i lack funding by a lot. i pull in about 1000 a month with my current job, 1100 if im lucky.

my plan as far as im concerned:

1. supercharge the v6
or
1. swap for 5.0 v8

2. if supercharged v6, id have to rebuild my engine first. but my question is, can my non-supercharged v6 have one installed? adding parts to a car that didnt come with it might prove a small dificulty. my motor is old, i have to floor it on the freeway even on a flat surface just to get it to pick up speed....slowly. its not the best condition anymore :(
2. if swapped, plan on getting headers + dual exhaust + ...supercharger?

now my funding is the biggest problem. i just want to know which is more cost worthy. also i hear the v6s of my year were utterly horrible.. mostly the headgaskets. what should i do about that?

My recommendation is to be happy with the car you have as it is. If it runs well then leave it alone. Drive it and smile. Keep her looking good and change your oil and keep the cooling system in good shape. Save your money and when you are ready buy a nice sc. You'll have a good car and it will be less expensive than the route you are currently contemplating. Performing swaps is both time consuming and expensive.

what about supercharger? would it fit on the engine that didnt come with it? i can go to picknpull for one of those..

The best way to swap to a 5.0HO - would be to pick up a 91-93 donor car for the wiring harnesses, the motor mounts, the motor itself, etc.

Of course, if you have that, why not drive it and sell the 3.8NA?

RwP

Yes I believe you can. I remember seeing this on sccoa and the car was an xr7. Sorry can't remember the link. All I remember was a decal azzkicker cars. It's on here somewhere.

lookup racecougar;)

While the engine in my '90 XR7 is a 5.0L, it isn't the sort of 5.0L the OP is referring to. I'm running a 4.6L DOHC based 5.0L stroker, the OP is referring to a 5.0L pushrod engine.

OP, it is very "doable". You'll need the 91-93 MN12 EEC, EEC harness, engine harness, engine, and engine mounts. I'd also recommend either the 5.0L or SC AOD transmission, V8 or SC springs, and a 8.8" centersection and halfshafts from a V8 or SC. As already mentioned, having a complete donor car would be the most straightforward route, though the 91-93 5.0L cars (and parts) are becoming rather scarce.

Good luck!

After checking out the price of locating all the bits and pieces, you may find out it's cheaper to pick up another 3.8NA - possibly from a Mustang - and swapping that in instead.

That'd be a good time to go to a splitport swap (see notes in the 3.8/4.2 subforum at http://forums.tccoa.com ).

RwP

Don't ask me how I know... but doing what you have in mind on the budget you have isn't going to be pretty. These cars will nickle and dime you, and then they'll dollar and hundred dollar you... and you still won't be done!:eek:

Best bet is to figure out what needs to be done to your current bird, if it's worth keeping, then fix it, change the rear end for a little better pick up and call it a day.

thanks for the input guys, just trying to find what would be the best route. and if i found a 90 or 91 believe me i would keep that car, but since i have this one (and sc are expensive) i think engine swap is more in my price range

...hmmm after some thinking, could i possibly get the same amount of power by boring out the engine? someone suggested that i get my engine rebuild and bored out.

Hey boss when is the last time you changed the plugs and wires. I remember my first sc and took it in to have it looked at. Really all that was done was platinum plugs and wires. Eveyone was asking who the fat guy was driving my car. Went back to pick it up and the first thing he says is "man that thing runs like a striped ape". He was right. Also check your compression on your cylinders to see where your engine stands as of now for a rebuild. Might have a dead hole.

Last edited:
The op stands corrected. The op also thanx you for posting those pics during your build. Great referance photos. That car is etched in my brain for life. Is azzkicker cars a business? Shop? Or a breed of car.

...hmmm after some thinking, could i possibly get the same amount of power by boring out the engine? someone suggested that i get my engine rebuild and bored out.

No..you aren't going to gain enough to even feel. Suggest selling the car and buying a used SC, because it will be the cheapest way to get more power. Used SCs are not expensive.

David

thanks guys for the feedback, ry ty for pm, and david, i looked for a cheap 90 or 91 but couldnt find one. cheapest is 1.6 but thats in texas, im in california. man.....if only funding wasnt a problem.. anyone know someone personally? btw im willing to drive to the east coast to get it. if its drivable and less than 1600.

The op stands corrected. The op also thanx you for posting those pics during your build. Great referance photos. That car is etched in my brain for life. Is azzkicker cars a business? Shop? Or a breed of car.

No problem. AzzKicker Cars is my business/shop.

By the way, Metalcorpse is the OP. OP = Original Poster

Back