Horn Still Won't Work

sdw

Still can't get my horn to work.

The pad switches the wires underneath the steering column. If I pull the relay I can jumper the horn on.

The relay will switch.

Somethings not quite right.

The wiriing diagram I got from Big E is incorrect.

The horn pad makes a circuit between a black wire and a violet wire.

The violet wire becomes the yellow/lt blue and the black stays black after the clock spring.

These end up in the connector under the steering wheel where i get continuity when I press the horn pad. The wires disappear into the main bundle where they go through the firewall. From there I assume they go right into the main power box.

I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. But I am at a loss. I enclose the wiring diagram i've got.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• Wiring Horns.jpg
    Wiring Horns.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 61
So, if you jumper around the relay, the horns blow (I presume you mean the NO/C contacts, the LG/R and Y/LG pair). When you press the horn button, does the DB wire go to ground?

Have you tried another relay? It COULD be a bad contact - you'll hear it CLICK on, but no electricity passes through.

RwP

Yes if i pull the relay and jumper the contacts the horn works.

I have two relays both of which will switch if i jumper the contacts.

I don't have a DB wire. But the yellow lt blue does ground out when the horn pad is depressed.

The wiring diagram does show a connector C245 but i can't find it. My only thought is that isn't connected but since the colours in diagram don't match up. I'm not sure I can vouch for the veracity of that diagram. Even though Big E said it was for a '91.

Sean

Yah, that doesn't match my EVTM for my 1991 Cougar at all. Well, some, but not enough.

Pre-air bag they used slip rings, not clocksprings.

Here's a PDF of the page scanned.

RwP

That's more like it.

Looks like i will have to pull the back of the main power junction block and see if something came loose when i had the engine out.

Thanks for the diagram.

Hopefully i will fix it tomorrow.

Sean

Sorry to intrude, but since we're on the subject, my horn seems to be stuck. So I disconnected them. Have been driving around with no horn for the past year. What should I check...?

Sorry to intrude, but since we're on the subject, my horn seems to be stuck. So I disconnected them. Have been driving around with no horn for the past year. What should I check...?

Basically, the same things that Sean has checked/is checking (see first post). The relay may be stuck, or the "switch" in the horn pad may be shorted somehow. You can test the horn pad by simply unplugging it, while the horns are honking of course.

Try checking continuity to ground on the Y/LB wire's connector @ the power distribution box, when the horn is depressed. (take the relay out) This one check could rule-out anything under the dash, otherwise, you know the problem is between C207 or C103

Unless you have really long arms, or a helping hand, it might be easiest to short the horn pad wiring before checking. :D

If that checks out, based on what you've already checked, it has to be a relay problem, like Ralph suggested.

need to remove firewall connector

I want to remove the big wiring plug in the engine bay at the firewall.

I loosened the bolt but it doesn't want to pull out.

It was so many years ago i did this last so I am wondering if it twists or even pulls out from the engine side.

Any one?

Sean

Dang!

Looked at my spare inside harness. Looks like it has tabs that have to be released from the inside. :mad:

I'm sure I'm too old for this. :rolleyes:

Sean

Whew!

After looking closer at this harness it has too pull out from the engine side. That makes a little bit happier. :rolleyes:

sean

Aargh!

I still can't seem to pull this connector off. is there a trick I'm missing?

Sean

Some days i wonder how i manage to breathe in and out given the technical nature of the diaphram.

Somehow, i'm thinking magic, the horn works now. :confused:

This horn episode is making me wonder if i should switch to a bicycle. One of those hipster ones with only one speed so it won't pose a technical challenge.

:eek:

The good thing is tomorrows commute is going to be so much better!

Sean

Back