anyone ever though about cobra motor in a SC?

bigcletus94

What would it take to make this work? Has it been done before? I know people have done this in the Mark VIII but never seen a T-Bird or SC with a Cobra motor. I am refering to any 96+ 4.6 DOHC, not the new SC'ed motor(however that would be even better). Could a 4R70W work with the Cobra motor? When/If my recently installed motor blows or I decide to yank it, I am considering either this type of a motor swap or a built 5.0. Just trying to gather some ideas.

yes, it would fit. And yes, a 4R70W would mate up to it. I personally know two people with Cobra motors in tbirds, and another person with a Mark VIII motor in a tbird. You will need to use a newer computer (EEC-V) and have it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have been thinking about this for a while.

Brian

It would fit. The Mark VIIIs had the DOHC 4.6 in them. The 4R70W will work if you use the 6 bolt flexplate from an F-150. Many of the SOHC 4.6L Birds have been upgraded to DOHC 4.6L. For more info go to tccoa.com, many have done the swap over there. Lots of wiring involved.

Hope this helps,
Nick

I think if you started witha 4.6 V8 T-bird this would be much easier. I wonder how close the wiring would be on the two and could a 4.6 SOHC EECV be used to control the DOHC with just a simple reflash?

You could always get some SC gfx added on there. When I was looking for a SC for three months I also looked at getting a 4.6 LX sport and just adding the gfx.

This is a little off topic but I met a guy at Milan Dragway last weekend with a brand new Mercury Marauder with a complete 03 Cobra engine in it. He said it wasn't his car but the buyer wanted an 03 cobra motor put in it along with time slips upon delivery. Last I seen he was running 13.0's with it using drag radials. It even had all of the new car window stickers on it. Very nice car.

According to this guy the 03 Cobra motor has more aggressive cams then the Marauder motor along with stronger internal's which I wouldn't doubt considering 03 Cobra is supercharged.

sorry I missed the "03" part of the cobra motor. That would be a really sweet setup to have an 03 cobra motor in a marauder. If that was the case, he should be running mid-low 12's on drag radials.

I looked into the 03 motors, but they are like $12K complete.

If I had a panther body car I would go with the 6.8 V10. That could be fairly cheap. You could always supercharge it. I love the Cobra SC 4.6 but $12,000, no thanks.

There was a nice V10 Crown Vic in 5.0 Ford not too long ago it was a nice ride.

go big block

Drop a 460 type engine in and slap a C6 behind it and really have some fun.. It is a very simple fit and the weight is NOT an issue either. Go with a good set of alum. heads and manifold and go kill some rice.... I slapped one in a car to se if it was able to be done without framing the front and it was a very eazy job. For those that were at the nats. you saw how eazy it was to do. You get rid of the weak trans,and the head gaskets as well. The only draw back is you got to run a cobra "R" hood so people will know something is up.... And there is still room left for a belt type blower or what ever else might light your fire.. Oh one more thing, it is a cheap way to go, parts are everywhere and the price is down as well..... Just some more mud to muddy the waters with.....Rich

My local Mercury salesman told me that the 04 Marauders are supposed to have a slightly detuned version of the 03 Cobra motor stock. SC and all. Either way, after the test drive I got to take in that Marauder, I've gotta have one. :)

easy to put a 460 in?

Hey rich, do you think it would be easier (work wise) and cheaper to just put a 460 in with the C-6 like you were talking about than it would be to build up the SC motor with the $h!tty 5-speed? I ask this cause if you read my recent post in the techincal forum, I now have the help of a mechinic at a rate of $10/hr provided I help him, and full use of a nice machine shop. This guy wants the car to go into the 12's. What would be the easiest, most cost effective way to do this and keep it streetable?

A friend showed me a pic of a nice looking SC in <strike>a recent Ford magazine</strike> Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. It was a 5.0 Cobra motor with a turbocharger. It had its own miniature SC trailer.. perhaps some of you have seen it. As I recall, it only ran around 14 seconds in the quarter mile, but that was at a speed of 114 mphs, so its probably due to traction issues.

Last edited:
Eazy as pie

Things you need... 460 built to your specs., C6 with a shift kit and a stall convertor, use of a welder for a week, a Be Cool rad from a late model mustang, some home made hoses, Rear sump oil pan {get pan, oil pump, and exhaust manifolds from a mid to late 80's and up tp early 90's f series pickup ] a front mount fan, some 1/4 " flat steel, and go to work.... You will also need a cobra "R" hood, but be careful which hood you get... off set the engine to the curb side a bit to clear the master brake unit if you got an early bird...Thats it.. the engine MUST be set in as low as you can so you can run an air cleaner. The stock gas pedel linkage can be still used. As for the trans,when you have it built make sure that the guy is told that it is for a floor shifter car,so he puts the bell crank on the right way...The rear cross member is still used, with the help of a 6 by 6 peice of steel with three holes drilled in it. You will have to get a drive shaft made,But thats something that you have to do if you are making any kind of horse power anyways..I did the one that I took to the nats. in less than two months of working on it whenever I was in the mood...I did mine with all the factory wiring bypassed. I got a after market dist. and wired it in to the power.Simple and eazy...THe best part of this is you can go back to stock because you don't have to cut the car or the wiring to do this swap....Good luck and let the power of BIG BLOCK be with you....Rich

Back