Got Fuel!

neverfastenough

My bro cmac hooked me up wif his dog that lays dimes on aluminum. Had this built. Using the Fuelab 41402 1300hp pump with a -10 feed. Still running the wabro 255 also.

6e36f900.jpg

e8458e33.jpg

bf5606a5.jpg

eb807df5.jpg

becd6074.jpg

a328c020.jpg

Corey

Last edited:
Looks nice. So you guys are keeping the stock tank and feeding the surge tank with the 255?

Im pretty sure thats just there for strength. And yes I was very pleased with the welding.

Cool. I get some boat fuel tanks that the weld cracks around the fuel pickup outlet bung. We assume from flexing. But there is a lot more vibration on a boat.

There is a -8 feed from 255 to surge tank, from the surge tank there is a -6 going back to the main tank. The return from the FPR goes back to the surge tank.

If you take into account that a large volume is being returned from the rails, and the fact that the 255 is under 0 pressure, so its flowing its full potential, it makes sense why it doesnt go empty.

If it did suck it low it would probably take a couple miles of WOT. Surge tanks have be used for years so its nothing new.

That pump looks like it would suck the surge tank dry with only a 255 filling it from the tank. Is fuel being returned to the surge tank or main tank ?

David

What you have is the 255 from the stock tank filling the surge, then the big pump feeds the rails with the excess returning to the surge then when the surge is over full it overflows to the stock tank.

Are you adding a fuel cooler to the system, and are you adding something to control the fuelab pump? Returning to the surge will bring fuel temps up. After running through the rails the fuel temp goes up significantly.

Ive been on an hour long drive, with many wot hits, Ive stopped and felt the lines and pump. Its never felt anything Id call hot. The fuelab pumps can be operated in high and low without their fancy regulator. 0-3V signal is low 3v and above is high. Since I dont have injectors for e85 yet, I have it locked down on the low position. The low is said to be continuously streetable, and has proven already to be more than enough for my power level on 93oct. It slammed the car into the 9's afr on the first wot hit.

street is one thing, the track becomes completely different. If going to track it, I'd consider a fuel cooler. It will make a difference.

That pump looks like it would suck the surge tank dry with only a 255 filling it from the tank. Is fuel being returned to the surge tank or main tank ?

David

Just to quantify it a little bit, I calculated that if Corey was running 83 lb/hr injectors at 100% duty cycle and was going WOT for ten seconds, the motor will consume just over a half gallon.

That's without any pump supplying the surge tank and if the regulator is returned to the surge tank, which it is.

street is one thing, the track becomes completely different. If going to track it, I'd consider a fuel cooler. It will make a difference.

I can see fuel being heated in the rails, but ambient temp fuel will be constantly flowing into the surge tank via the 255. I doubt fuel temps changed any from before, but its worth looking into.

What is the purpose of a surge tank? I have a magnafuel pump I'm installing on my 4.3 stroker and wonder if this is something I may need.

You cant fit bigger than a 255(easily) in the stock tank. You could use a cell, or a surge tank. Surge tanks are also useful for autocross and things that could potentially starve a stock pickup in a stock tank.

Very nice setup. The way I see it is this, you have an extra revervoir of fuel that a superior fuel pump will be able to supply however much fuel you need. In the short burst of maybe 15-20 seconds on the streets tops that you would go wot, you should have enough fuel supply. At the same time the 255 pump will be trying to keep up supply in the extra revervoir, whether it can or not you should be ok unless you are setting a land speed record with it.

Chris

What you have is the 255 from the stock tank filling the surge, then the big pump feeds the rails with the excess returning to the surge then when the surge is over full it overflows to the stock tank.

That makes sense, that's why I asked if the return was going to the surge tank.

David

Back