Vacuum Leak, disconnected line. Where does it go?

tweedybird

Found this guy right here
Vic1c.jpg

Its so tight back there, I cant tell where it came from. Is that just disconnected or is it broken off?
It leads back to the passenger side valve cover.
Where does it go to?

Here it is pulled out
djbO0.jpg

I started the car with the line off and I still hear hissing even if I plug that line. So its not that. still no idea where that crankcase vent goes to but its not the hissing im hearing. If I remove that soft line that's just to the right of the circled vent line, the hissing stops, so that line might be loose but I'm not 100% certain.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose/tube assembly

You have the remains of the PCV hose/tube assembly. It "branches" to 3 locations. (1) It is routed from back of the supercharger inlet hose male hose fitting (as shown in picture 1) down and to (2) the passenger side rear valve cover PCV valve. Staying on the passenger side rear of the valve cover area and looking at the fire wall you should see (3)a hard plastic black vacuum line (around 5/16"). That vacuum line connects to the rubber hose of the tubing (as shown in the picture 2 with your fingers holding the hose/tube assembly). Cut to length and replace hose with reinforced rubber hose and clamps to prevent future leaks.

It is just disconnected. It's a funny type connection that can work it's way loose. It's basically a metal tube that slides inside another metal tube, with the rubber on the outside to hold it in place and help "seal"..kinda.

There is a metal tube elbow coming out the backside of the inlet (pointing towards the ground), which I think I have circled and arrow-ed on your picture.

I've never had a problem with it popping off before, but after it's back in place, a hose clamp might be a good idea.

I'd say you found your vacuum leak. :)

Attachments

• Vic1c.jpg
    Vic1c.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 161
Maybe I have hooked something back up incorrectly. that one you circled goes to another vacuum hose.

Ugh, I was going to take the wiper cowl off so I can see better but it looks like the hood needs to come off so I can take the wipers off to get the cowel off.....

Maybe I have hooked something back up incorrectly. that one you circled goes to another vacuum hose.

Ugh, I was going to take the wiper cowl off so I can see better but it looks like the hood needs to come off so I can take the wipers off to get the cowel off.....

No, you park them up, then pull them up while slipping the lock over to unlock them, then pull straight up.

Easy peasy.

RwP

You most certainly do NOT have to take the hood off to remove the wipers or the cowl!

Connect the vacuum tubes circled in green to each other.

Attachments

• SCVacuumLine.jpg
    SCVacuumLine.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 177
  • HPIM0862g.JPG
    HPIM0862g.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 193
how do you take the wipers off? it says to lift them up to release but the hood is in the way and I cant lift them with the hood closed or open, they just dont lift far enough to release the clip

how do you take the wipers off? it says to lift them up to release but the hood is in the way and I cant lift them with the hood closed or open, they just dont lift far enough to release the clip

Turn the key on.

Turn the wipers on.

Turn the key off when the wipers point straight up.

Remove wipers.

However, taking the wipers and cowl off isn't really going to do you any good, you just need to feel the back of the SC inlet for the connection that I posted in the second pic above.

I typically have them engaged and turn the ignition switch off before they go to home. They're easier to remove that way.

I did not have time to look at it yesterday but I will today after work. That line that was circled in green is hooked up to something else. I will have to take a pic of that and post that later tonight, like in 10 hours.

I did not have time to look at it yesterday but I will today after work. That line that was circled in green is hooked up to something else. I will have to take a pic of that and post that later tonight, like in 10 hours.

Then it's hooked up wrong....

Your hands are gonna cramp from workin in such a tiny space. Those little cuts are nice too. The wiper removal is the least of your worries. I do not envy you.

vacuum leak

The hose (approx 3/8") in question connects to the vacuum distribution block (sometime call a "tree") and check valve assembly. Checking my car it is located behind the inlet plenum to intake manifold, next to the fire wall and to the left side (facing the car/engine) of the windshield wiper motor assembly. Removing the supercharger maybe an option to inspect (1) serviceability of the vacuum hose and (2) the plastic distribution block.

alright, i did some digging. something things are not right. the intake that's pictured here and in the 89 manual (the car is a 91). the ports dont match up. And I think I have a boost leak so I need to start removing things again.

I took some pics but im too tired now to post and explain them.

here is what's going on on this car

HOzO8.jpg

that splitter is not how the manual has it at all

jV0KN.jpg

and as you can see here, the bottom is plugged and top goes somewhere else. no idea.

:/

The picture is hard to see, but if I understand, the bottom elbow is currently plugged on the car? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that is the one that needs your mystery hose/tube connected to it. Otherwise, your PCV system won't work. However, if it really is capped off, that should not be your vacuum leak.

vacuum leak

In the first picture the red hose connection is correct. In the second picture (that is the red hose disconnected in your hand?) there is black vacuum hose approx 3' (should have a with a check valve connected to it) that attaches to the inlet plenum to intake manifold "splitter" routed against the firewall leading directly to another the vacuum junction. This junction is located under the driver side cowl next to the large white firewall main power distribution harness connector. It should not be plugged.

Back