95 SC shifts oddly

johnwartjr

My 95 shifts fine and a bit hard when I drive aggressively.

However, when I drive using typical acceleration (ie around town, 50 mph or less, trying to drive rather conservatively because my wife and kids don't like shifts that snap your neck, and fast acceleration), it seems like it's losing track of what gear it wants to be in - like, it will downshift while I'm still accelerating, and the car bucks a little bit. Then, it shifts right back up.

I've done a little reading, and it really hasn't helped me figure it out. I've seen some discussions that indicate it might be time for a trans fluid/filter change, some that indicate it might be time for a torque converter, and one that said there is a speed sensor that might need changed.

Any thoughts? I don't have a CEL, but I'm not sure the OBD-I system has transmission codes?

I realize people may need a bit more information, so shoot any questions and I'll drive it/look at it/whatever, and provide more specific information as requested.

Thanks!

However, when I drive using typical acceleration (ie around town, 50 mph or less, trying to drive rather conservatively because my wife and kids don't like shifts that snap your neck, and fast acceleration), it seems like it's losing track of what gear it wants to be in - like, it will downshift while I'm still accelerating, and the car bucks a little bit. Then, it shifts right back up.

On my son's old '94 3.8 LX and my former '97 4.6 LX sport, both cars had a range selector switch on the transmission. When the switches went bad, the cars would upshift and downshift at unexpected times.

I'm not sure if automatic Super Coupes have this same switch on the transmission. Someone here will know.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'90 automatic SC (purchased but not yet picked up.)

yes they do.

I'm not sure if automatic Super Coupes have this same switch on the transmission. Someone here will know.

Yes they have a MLPS, but they were really only a problem on the 94 models. The 95's used a better gasket keeping water out of the switch.

It could be you have an older MLPS and it doesn't have the red gasket sticking out of it. Easy enought to find out though.

Smitty

I've done a little reading, and it really hasn't helped me figure it out. I've seen some discussions that indicate it might be time for a trans fluid/filter change, some that indicate it might be time for a torque converter, and one that said there is a speed sensor that might need changed.

Any thoughts? I don't have a CEL, but I'm not sure the OBD-I system has transmission codes?

I realize people may need a bit more information, so shoot any questions and I'll drive it/look at it/whatever, and provide more specific information as requested.

Thanks!

The MLPS's in all of the AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions are junk. I'll bet that's the issue.

How difficult is this to change? Anyone got a P/N or recommended source? Is there any way to test the MLPS?

How difficult is this to change? Anyone got a P/N or recommended source? Is there any way to test the MLPS?

The MLPS is easy to change. I typically go to the dealer. It can be a changed without having to remove anything other than the MLPS. Just jack the car up and it is right there on the driver side of the transmission. The last time I purchased one it was about $80.

BTW - I see you collect pinball machines. I have a Williams Black Night pinball machine. It's in great shape and everything works well. I love that thing. :)

Back