Fuel System upgrade advice

Silenced

I'm working on switching out the Cougar to run on E85, as well as a lot of other upgrades. I'm planning on making "Big Power" down the road, so I'm oversizing everything as well.

In the process of converting to A/N fittings, I'm going to be adding an external FPR...

Most of the FPRs I'm finding have two "Inlet/Outlet" ports, and a "Return" port... I'm working with the factory return style setup, so to me, it looks like I'm going to need to cap one of the ports off on either the fuel rail or the regulator...

It looks like I have two options. I can run the FPR after the fuel rail, and cap off one of the "Inlet" ports...

OR

I belive I can also cap off the outlet of my fuel rail, and run a single fuel line to my intake manifold via the second larger port on the FPR...

I have a few questions...
1) Am I looking at the wrong type of FPR maybe??
2) Is it safe to not have an outlet on the fuel rails? Seems like that would lead to air in the rails, or the fuel heating up.
3) What's the "Best Practices" approach here??
4) any advice on where to mount an external FPR?

Adjustable FPR is not necessary really until you go to larger fuel rails. And larger fuel rails are not particuarly identified as necessary.

A blower car vs a turbo car will be slightly different. A blower car takes more engine power to make the same rear wheel horsepower due to the blower stealing a bunch of power.

For 500rwhp on a blower car you'll need 6500rpm and 22psi or so. On E85 I don't believe there is an stock replacement in-tank pump that would be ideal. I think the Aeromotive Stealth some are using would be marginal at that power level with E85.

For a tubo car, the Stealth might be o.k.

Personally I would plan for your more immediate needs. Get the pumping done now, get the wiring so the fuel pump gets full power, and get a fuel pump sized for the next couple years. If you need more in the future you can do it then, and maybe then a good dual pump option could be available.

I actually got a steal on an A1000 and inline filter, so my pump is taken care of :)

This is going on a 6500rpm PI (V8) motor, with a Vortech around 17psi, and "unpurchased" cams. If I had to guess, I'd say it should be in the high 400s, low 500s to the wheels when I'm done.

I found a set of used -8 Rails, and I plan to run -10 to the front for future upgrades. When Ford comes out with a good D.I. v8, I'm jumping ship on the 2v motor, and I'd like to be prepared for lots and lots of boost.

I agree with Mike about the AFR. I havent done a thing with the stock fuel rails or AFR....yet. I did the fuel cell and a external Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump. Ran 1/2" SS lines forward and into SS braided hoses and tied into the fuel rail. Now I am set for the future for bigger HP when I go to fuel rails and a regulator. Guys are running well into the 400s with the stock fuel rails. Im sure your going need up gradeing at some point but the fuel rails running under the car are extremly sad and smaller than even the fuel rail. A bigger restriction than the fuel rail in my opinion. And the beloved Walbro 255 pump everyone ran in the past is just not up to the big ponies everyone is working for.

Ken

If you are against doing a fuel cell. Do like neverfastenough did, do a surge tank. Should be plenty of rail options for you. And I would put the external regulator after the rails and cap the one inlet or feed both rails and have a return line off both rails going to the regulator.

Here are some pics of my dads marauder setup.
20120428_113904.jpg

20120428_113941.jpg

fuelcrossover.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys... That helps... Especially the 'rauder pics...

I'll probably do a similar configuration to what he did, with the crossover in back... It'll be a lot easier to screw on fuel lines in the front of the fuel rails ;) Plus I have a big empty space in front of the driver's cam where the power steering used to be.

Now, if only I can find a Bullit Intake.

Back