PDA

View Full Version : New Owner

TXTBird
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Ok so I'm going to go pick up my new SC in California and want to drive it back to Texas early next month (August). My concern is that this car only has 30K miles and may not have had the proper maintenance required along with driving it through Arizona in August. Please chime in on what maintenance I would need to perform prior to driving it to Texas.

I plan on purchasing tires.

Thanks

John E. Manolis
07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
A good start would be the coolant & engine oil.

Once home, change all the other fluids......

John

CharlieB
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I would be careful about flushing the cooling system just prior to the trip back to TX. I have seen older cooling systems develop leaks very soon after a good flush. If anything drain and refill the cooling system with new anti freeze. Only put in about 25% anti freeze and 75% water, and maybe add some water wetter. Plain water cools better than antifreeze, but you want some anti freeze in the cooling system for corrosion protection and lubrication. An oil change is just good sense before any long trip. If the car is still all original, I would be more concerned about the belts, the SC hoses hold up pretty good. SO maybe changing the belts. There are 3 of them 2 for the supercharger and one for all the accessories. There are a bunch of small cooling systems hoses on an SC to provide coolant to the oil cooler. So carrying a few feet of 5/8 heater hose would be a good choice.

If they are the original tires, then replacement is a good idea. Old tires and long hot highway drives usually don't go well.

Yes the SC cooling system is a bit marginal, but I drove an SC thru the record breaking heat in the Austin area last summer. With a stock 94/95 SC, below about 220 the ECU only runs the fan when the A/C is on and you are traveling less than about 45 mph. If you get in heavy high speed traffic, the airflow thru the radiator will be marginal, and the temp will start to climb. The ECU will turn the fan on when it gets about 220 and it will cool off. On the SC I drive everyday 220 is just at the end of the "m" in the word "norm" on the temp gauge.

I have purchased 2 SC's and driven them back to TX from as far away as CT.

In both cases the cars had a fresh oil change and both were maintained well by the previous owner. In both cases I flew out to pick up the cars. I ended up bringing a tool kit that I checked as luggage. Then picked up fluids as I first got on the road. Gallon of anti freeze, couple gallons of water, Oil, Trans fluid (auto). P/S fluid and brake fluid.

I see you are on Cedar Park, I work in Round Rock. If you want send me a private message and I'll give you my phone #, I'll happily try and answer any questions you have.

Charlie

HappyChappy
07-12-2012, 11:51 AM
+1 on everything Charlie said. Especailly the tires, getting oil change and tire roataion, the shop should be able to tell you what is of concern. 20 year old car that hasn't seen much action, make some good long stops to allow it to take a breather.
Enjoy the drive, but smart to take precautions. Get the insurance set-up now, they only need the VIN number. You do not want to get into an accident without the coverage! Also, check to see if your insurance has emergnecy roadside assistance and if it works out of state.

Hope the A/C works for you! Maybe buy one of those self AC charge things at PepBoys, just incase their is a leak and you need to get some juice in there before gettign it repaired when you get home.

Oh, and congrats!

jaredm_k
07-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Congrats - I would definitely check the Super Charger fluid level as well to make sure it is staying lubricated for the drive home. Here is a thread on checking it.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31616

Enjoy your drive!