non sc trouble

Metalcorpse

sorry i know this is for supercoupes but my car is a cougar and this is the best place i know for help on these vehicles, i have a 93 cougar xr7 3.8L v6. the other day i was driving it and it seems to be lagging on speed vs rpm. i know my transmission is slippin and goin out but im not sure what else it is.

what happened: i got to my car after eating dinner, i started it and the rpm gague was wigging out, hopping from 1.3 to .2 and back. then dies. i started again, reved it and it slowly went back to rhythm. i went to a gas station, left a minute later. decided to drive somewhere else. as i was crusing at like....35 mph, it just kinda sputtered and died. almost like when you run out of gas...just rpms got lower and lower no matter what i did. then just died. i pulled into a liqour store thankfully it was close by, and parked it. i started it again, let it run.....annnd as i closed the hood, it died again. just poof. even today, it runs, just seems to lag. i give it gas it feels like its walking on two broken legs. it moves but i can tell its not running the same way it did last week.

sorry for long post but any help on it? at first i thought it was overheating but the temp sensor was at the middle, and there wasnt any smoke. ....-.- this is my only transportation to work and back.

how? i figured might be my filter, but it ran perfectly fine just 2 days ago. yesterday it started to act up. dont know what happened... when i rev it now, it sounds....thick? not the clean rev, a dirtier sound

Trouble

Here is what I do whenever there are drivability/engine issues for a ford non sc 3.8 engine.

First. Check the ignition switch assembly located in the two piece steering column cover. Do a slight tug on the assembly. Check that the ignition unit has not separated into two pieces.

Second. Do both engine off/running scan for fault/pass codes. Test and verify identified component and or replaced.

Third. Do an engine fuel pressure test engine off/on. You will need a fuel injection test gauge and the ford specific fitting. Attach to the fuel rail fitting and verify fuel reading are within limits. Replace defective components.

Fourth. Remove two non-tamper screws (using torque bits), inspect and clean (with appropriate cleaner) Mass Air Flow Sensor hot and cold sensing wires.

Fifth. Inspected the ignition solenoid (located in the engine compartment) wiring harness connectors for security.

Sixth. Inspect the Ford Thick Film Ignition module (should be located on left/passenger side of the radiator support next to the airbox). Check to see if the heat sink compound has not deteriorated causing the unit to intermittently operate. Check the engine EEC relay (located in the engine bay fuse and relay box behind the battery. Check the relay and the engine bay fuse/relay box connectors for corrosion.

I Hope this helps.

how? i figured might be my filter, but it ran perfectly fine just 2 days ago.

Almost everything out there works -until it breaks.

The pump may be failing.

The filter may be partially plugged.

The pump may have shoved a piece of floating crap into the lines, which is now blocking the filter.

You may have a combination of all three.

Again, have you checked the fuel pressure?

There's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail - you can use a tester like this one at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html .

RwP

thanks for the help. ill try these ideas when i get some free time. hopefully i can find a solution to this problem. id like to keep using my car.

Back