DIS module

SCmetalhead

Has anyone found a way to air gap the DIS that mount above the AC. Heat sink compound is ok But I want way better way to keep the dis cool. I've thought about air gapping the DIS and mount. Maybe put some heat sink fins under the dis. I don't want to go through the hassel of taking the DIS and mounting to fender. to much work and the problem with sliced(soldered) wires is not worth it.

ANY ideas

I think you are wasting your time. The DIS module was designed to operate in a specific temperature range. The bracket it is mounted to is a heat sink to draw heat out of the module which will get much hotter than the bracket is. Putting an air gap under it will cause thermal runaway and it will fail. Putting a finned heatsink under it won't make it last any longer even if it runs a little cooler. The one in my car is the original, is 22 years old, and still works fine. Electronic modules can and will fail for any number of reasons not necessarily heat. I'm an electrical engineer and work with these kind of things on a daily basis.

I agree with Mike (I'm also an EE). However, I do think that if it could be kept significantly cooler, that it might prolong the life - especially with the aftermarket units. I've thought of mounting it on a good-sized heat sink and have the fins protrude into the air intake box area to remove the heat. I think simply putting a heat sink under the stock location would run hotter, if anything.

Ford did change the design and location of the DIS unit on the 94's - even though other cars used the exact same DIS through '98 I think (SHO's). This makes me think that they were aware of a problem with the early design, and attempted to remedy in 94/95. I'm sure it happens, but I've never heard of a failure on the DIS module for the later SC's. Whether it's because of design or location, I'm not sure.

I don't think there is anything sensible you can do to help it run cooler in the factory location. Someday I plan to do some experimenting with it, but the factory location will work until then.

Painting your hood white would help though.....:D

Last edited:
Peltier

Anyone thought of this?

mod05-peltier.jpg

J/K I don't think it would work.

I ran across this thread while looking for the proper type of heat compound. I'm just curious if anyone thinks I'll have any issues running my DIS on this aluminum plate as pictured below. In my build thread if anyone has read it I made this an an adapter to the mustang passenger side bracket. I'm just curious If I might have any issues with cooling or heat?

That looks like a good base to pull heat. I think you'll be fine provided you use the proper heat sink compound. Ensure that its as flat as possible.

Looks good enough from what I've seen of the mounting pad for the 94/95 module. Should be similar for heat dissipation in that application.

I ran across this thread while looking for the proper type of heat compound. I'm just curious if anyone thinks I'll have any issues running my DIS on this aluminum plate as pictured below. In my build thread if anyone has read it I made this an an adapter to the mustang passenger side bracket. I'm just curious If I might have any issues with cooling or heat?

Remember, the DIS itself is cooler than the stock aluminum pedestal used in the early style mount. The paste is a barrier in that application.

I'd not worry over moving heat off it, but more about adding heat to it or blocking air flow across it. Just be sure to maintain the same ground path/resistance so it can do it's thing.

Last edited:
Remember, the DIS itself is cooler than the stock steel pedestal used in the early style mount. The paste is a barrier in that application.

An aluminum base plate will conduct heat better than the steel the DIS used to sit on, so I'm not sure that is the best choice for material in this case _if_ there is worrisome heat rising/soaking up from the A/C compressor, as an example.

I'd not worry over moving heat off it, but more about adding heat to it or blocking air flow across it. Just be sure to maintain the same ground path/resistance so it can do it's thing.

Not sure what your talking about with the DIS sitting on STEEL. The stock bracket that is stock to an SC is aluminum and the DIS used to sit directly onto it.

Anyway, I've got 3 spares if they start going bad I'll move the module.

Not sure what your talking about with the DIS sitting on STEEL. The stock bracket that is stock to an SC is aluminum and the DIS used to sit directly onto it.

The stock pedestal/accessory mount on the early SCs is aluminum, you're right.

Back