Coil Spring Recommendations??

90sc35thann

I have my entire suspension out for a rebuild. While I am awaiting my parts does anyone have any recommendations for springs? I am using all Moog suspension components plus a new set of Tokico Illuminas.

SCP has them in Eibach and Vogtland. Bill was suppose to have another manufacturer supply him with some but not sure where that is at.

depends on what you want to achieve...for stiffness I really like my Suspension Tech Linear springs...

for boaty floatyness I really liked Eibachs

depends on what you want to achieve...for stiffness I really like my Suspension Tech Linear springs...

There are a ton of links when I search suspension technology. Do you have the correct link for the one to which you are referring? it would be of great help.

You can do okay with a set of new Moog springs. But I think they only have V8 Thunderbird ones on the shelf. Close, but not exactly the same as, SC spring rates.

Or you can contact someone like this, for a new set of exact OEM replica springs.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

I hate some of the auto parts web sites sometimes. So advance doesn't list springs for our cars at all but when I go to the Moog site they do. Then I search that specific part number and poof they come up and are available. I checked it out and for those who want to know the 94-95 SC's use Moog PN's as follows

CC872 - Front springs
CC861 - Rear springs

That is if anyone wants to use stock springs for our cars. I figured if I am going to all of the trouble and replacing every a-arm and bushing plus struts in this car I might as well install new springs while I am at it. At least this way The ride height will be back to its original specifications.

I hate some of the auto parts web sites sometimes. So advance doesn't list springs for our cars at all but when I go to the Moog site they do. Then I search that specific part number and poof they come up and are available. I checked it out and for those who want to know the 94-95 SC's use Moog PN's as follows

CC872 - Front springs
CC861 - Rear springs

That is if anyone wants to use stock springs for our cars. I figured if I am going to all of the trouble and replacing every a-arm and bushing plus struts in this car I might as well install new springs while I am at it. At least this way The ride height will be back to its original specifications.

I think I have the CC872 springs on the front end of my car. (I am pretty sure that is what I bought back in 2006, but I don't recall exactly.) They ride and handle about right. It may ride sliiiiightly higher up front. But I think it may level out if I replace the spring isolators in the back.

Weren't the JJJJ-code springs (came on my SC) the same as on the 96-97 Thunderbird sport?

Probably, but I don't know exactly. There were several spring codes you might get on your SC, depending on options and years. There is a thread with more information from several years ago, but I don't think anyone ever compiled an exhaustive list of the codes, much less testing the rates.

Last edited:
The Moog catalog listed CC872 for the front of all year SC's 89-95 but listed CC851 for the rear of early SC's and CC861 for late SC's. I guess they got a little heavier in the arse later in life. LOL

It listed CC888 for the front of all year V8 thunderbirds as well as CC861 for the rear.

If you go aftermarket it sounds like you would like the tokico set...not as low as the rest of the aftermarket springs out there and the rears are linear which is legit on our cars

not sure if you can just purchase the springs though :confused:

http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/e-mmyproducts.aspx

I just ordered the front and rear moog sets about an hour ago. I hope they work out well. This is what I have purchased thus far

Full set of Tokico Illuminas all the way around
Front Upper and Lower Control Arms
Front and Rear strut rod bushing kits
Front sway bar links
Inner and outer tie rod ends
Full set of Rear control arm bushings
Rear sway bar links
Coil Springs for Front and Rear

I just want the car to ride like it did when new. The way I look at it as rare as these cars were to begin with and as few that are left it is going to start getting real hard to keep these cars going. I figure as infrequently as I drive this car a new suspension should last at least as long as I am alive. LOL

I just ordered the front and rear moog sets about an hour ago. I hope they work out well. This is what I have purchased thus far

Full set of Tokico Illuminas all the way around
Front Upper and Lower Control Arms
Front and Rear strut rod bushing kits
Front sway bar links
Inner and outer tie rod ends
Full set of Rear control arm bushings
Rear sway bar links
Coil Springs for Front and Rear

I just want the car to ride like it did when new. The way I look at it as rare as these cars were to begin with and as few that are left it is going to start getting real hard to keep these cars going. I figure as infrequently as I drive this car a new suspension should last at least as long as I am alive. LOL

With all new parts, aligned correctly, the car will drive great!

Another thing to consider is motor mounts. If yours are good, then just enjoy them, but if they are bad, replacing them makes an amazing difference in the feel of the car. Just so worth the money.

The Moog catalog listed CC872 for the front of all year SC's 89-95 but listed CC851 for the rear of early SC's and CC861 for late SC's. I guess they got a little heavier in the arse later in life. LOL

It listed CC888 for the front of all year V8 thunderbirds as well as CC861 for the rear.

Now I am wondering if I bought the 872s or the 888s. I remember something about a V8 spring. I will have to find the receipt from 2006.

With all new parts, aligned correctly, the car will drive great!

Another thing to consider is motor mounts. If yours are good, then just enjoy them, but if they are bad, replacing them makes an amazing difference in the feel of the car. Just so worth the money.

I just rebuilt the engine about 250 miles ago and replaced all of the engine mounts at that time. I also took the time to rebuild all of the heater hoses, new water pump, new oil pump, crank and cam sensors, BHJ balancer, and high pressure power steering hose. I am hoping I do not need to touch this engine for quite some time. :)

Boaty floatyness? Is that even a word? Have you ever had Eibachs on your MN12? Really depends on the spring and shock combo not the springs alone to get that "Boaty floatyness".

Boaty floatyness? Is that even a word? Have you ever had Eibachs on your MN12? Really depends on the spring and shock combo not the springs alone to get that "Boaty floatyness".

I have had eibach on an sn95 mustang and thought they were a bit on the mushy side. That was with koni struts and shocks set t firm. My favorite springs to date have been the steeda Competiton springs. Those were Fabulous IMO. unfortunately they are not available for my thunderbird.

Yes I had eibachs with tokicos (same shock i have now) and boaty floatyness was what I had...now I have same shocks with linear ST springs and I have firmy goodness :eek:

what happens is that eibachs are progressive and simply too soft for MY taste of "normal driving"...they werent too bad when pushed to the limit

Back