exhaust leak? or blown head gasket ?

red766

what are the tall tale signs that a head gasket is blown? I have an 'exhaust leak sound' around nbrs 1,2,3....but i just put the stock exhaust system back in and maybe didn't tighten the nuts on the exh manifold enuf, or didn't tighten the connection of exh mfld to exh system enuf .............? please let it be a exhaust leak.... car has 87k miles on it,,...but sat still for 9 years..

Most of the time a Head Gasket won't make any sound, as the head itself isn't leaking to the outside. The material between the cylinder edge and the water jacket is what blows out when you hear of a head gasket problem.

This will be visible by a nice white billowy cloud in the rear of your vehicle, or your radiator overflow tank looking like you have an aquarium bubble stone in the bottom of it.

Get in there and make sure all your manifold to head bolts are tight, and also check the connection to the downtube/cat to make sure you got that aligned properly.

Edit: If it has been sitting for 9 years or so, might as well go through it if you have the funds and time and do the gaskets anyways. Go to Spinning Wheels and get the HG repair kit. Comes with everything you need plus I think it has ARP Head Studs as well. A good idea on these cars to make future jobs easier if you need to get in there. Then you won't always be wondering when (not if) the HG will go south on ya.

Last edited:
Back