Differential Cooler

XxSlowpokexX

Out of pure boredom I been putting together a temperature activated differential cooler setup. Unsure if Ill ever need it being my car wont be road raced but thought it be cool to monitor differential fluid temps under various conditions.

Now the great question is anyone have some good alternatives for pumps? Seems Im looking at around $180 and up. Let me know:O) When I finish the setup Ill post a parts list. Im sure others have done it (I remember someone had a cobra R setup) but im looking for a semi affordable alternative

Thanks!

Check out fords new "track pack" on the '13 shelby. it has a rear cooler. The engineers claim it will never actuate on the street cause basically you can't beat on it hard enough to get it it hot with out "sustained high speeds", ie dam near 200:eek: I am sure there are more cost effective parts for you to use, but looking at fords engineering may give you some new/diff ideas. post piocs, sounds cool

Adam

If you use AMSOIL's Severe Gear EP 75W-90 Gear lube, it will reduce operating temps 20 to 50 degrees over other gear oils. Then you might not need a cooler. :cool:

The engineers claim it will never actuate on the street cause basically you can't beat on it hard enough to get it it hot with out "sustained high speeds", ie dam near 200:eek:

That isn't unusual. Rear Differentials do not see high loads at speed as long as both the left and right side of the gear set is turning the same speed. Only when one side or the other turns at a different rate do all the gears start flying. Until then it's just the ring and pinion.

Pumps will be right around $200. You need a pump rated for oil or viscous fluids, and preferably one that does not need a high micron pre-filter. Dif's always have some metal floating around in them and some pumps perform well, and tolerate that. Others require a high micron filter, and you'll be changing the filter often. One pump with sufficient clearance is here https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=156

If you can spring for it, I suggest ball valves in the lines for the pump so you can close the valves and replace the pump without all the fluid coming out.

Last edited:
My whole car is way overkill. If a Cobra R can have one so can I..And if the dam thing never turns on or get used..Thats fine as well!

Back