ABS pump motor cam

the-big-e

I've noticed a rash of broken pump motor cams in the past few days so I thought I might put out this Public Service Announcement.....:p

The most often way you break the tiny ears off the cam is when it isn't centered with the pump motor shaft and pump during installation....

Do not use the pump motor bolts to seat the pump motor to the pump housing.....

You must push the pump motor into the pump housing with your hands, make sure it sits flush with the pump housing, then tighten the bolts.....

If the unit is out of the car, it's a pretty easy task....:D

If you're doing it from under the car, then try this.....

Rotate the pump so the small notches are in the 6 and 12 o'clock position.....

Orient the pump motor in the correct position and turn the shaft so the cam ears will line up with the pump....

You might have to rotate the pump motor a bit as it goes into the pump housing to get everything to line up.....

If it goes in on the first try, consider yourself lucky and go buy a lottery ticket.....:D

Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get it together.....

That's the main reason I pull the entire unit out....

Last edited:
Ive never had any success trying to get the motor in with the ABS unit in the car. Id advise to always remove the whole unit from the car. FWIW, Ive kept my Teves IIs fully maintained in all 3 of my SCs. That means I've pulled, tested, repaired and rebuilt motors and switches from all 3 :rolleyes:

I don't think so.....

I've only seen them break when installing the pump motor to the pump housing.....

I'll second that Eddie. I broke one and I'm sure that's how I broke it. Fortunately the ABS Tech in TX sent me a couple of extras.

No rear brakes stiff pedal abs light

I just bought my 1990 sc with a brake problem.

It looks to me that the previous owner replaced the accumulator recently. The pump motor runs constantly but no fluid is pumping? I believe the pump is bad!? Does anyone know where to find a reasonable pump and motor assy? Or know where to get one rebuilt?

It may need priming. One way that sometimes works is to open up the rear bleeder valve, turn on the key, pump about a pint of fluid out. That gets fluid moving through the main valve and may be enough to get the pump primed. You could also loosen the accum and turn the key on for a second to see if that will prime the pump. It may make a mess so cover it up with a plastic bag. Once its primed, when the pump motor is running, you'll hear it start to slow down. That means its building pressure as it supposed to.

Also, DO NOT loosen the accum again until you release the pressure. That is done by pumping the pedal about 50 times with the key off. Pump until the pedal is stiff as in doesn't want to move. :eek:

It may need priming. One way that sometimes works is to open up the rear bleeder valve, turn on the key, pump about a pint of fluid out. That gets fluid moving through the main valve and may be enough to get the pump primed. You could also loosen the accum and turn the key on for a second to see if that will prime the pump. It may make a mess so cover it up with a plastic bag. Once its primed, when the pump motor is running, you'll hear it start to slow down. That means its building pressure as it supposed to.

Also, DO NOT loosen the accum again until you release the pressure. That is done by pumping the pedal about 50 times with the key off. Pump until the pedal is stiff as in doesn't want to move. :eek:

I will give that a whirl thanks for the tip

Back