A/C high pressure and cooling fan

kennyo

The other day in the 100* heat my compressor farted out some refrigerant.. The fan is wired for high speed when the air is on but I was wondering if it could be slowing down because of it's age. Would a new fan motor pull more air and keep this from happening again?? This happened once before when the fan quit working. That is why it's wired high speed only now.

Most likely the cooling fan is not running. That would cause overpressure. Usually, the low speed is sufficient. It really only matters if you're sitting still in which case a higher speed would help produce better AC cooling. I'd suggest you get a new fan if low is not working.

Last edited:
It was running. I was just wondering if they "slow" down before they quit working..
Yes. And they smoke and melt :eek: Its the bearings that go out and cause a drag on the motor. If the fan isn't running... you'll see the high side pressures build and build until the 400psi relief valve lets go.
I saw this while charging up my black car's AC. No fan (due to a bad IRCM), but I didn't notice.. watched the high pressure build and build until I freaked :eek: and ran around and shut off the engine.

Back