Tire ride height...

Kris Campos

I'm going to be changing the tires on my car soon to get it back on the road and I'm looking into sizing the tires differently in the front and back to get the front to sit a little lower; the only thing is I'm a little worried about making the front so much smaller that it's really noticeable and looks funny.

With what I'm looking into, the tire ride height difference could either be 1.28" lower in the front (255/40/19 rear and 245/35/19 front), or .32" (255/40/19 rear and 245/40/19) front.

I'm worried that a difference of 1.28" might be too much; does anybody have that kind of height difference, and does it look weird?

I've been away from t-birds for a while so I don't remember a lot, but if I get the bags in my rear springs, does it lift the rear a little bit, or just it just make it more firm?

Attached is a pic of how it sits now

Attachments

• 2012-07-30 09.34.01 (1) (1).jpg
    2012-07-30 09.34.01 (1) (1).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 58
I'm going to be changing the tires on my car soon to get it back on the road and I'm looking into sizing the tires differently in the front and back to get the front to sit a little lower; the only thing is I'm a little worried about making the front so much smaller that it's really noticeable and looks funny.

With what I'm looking into, the tire ride height difference could either be 1.28" lower in the front (255/40/19 rear and 245/35/19 front), or .32" (255/40/19 rear and 245/40/19) front.

I'm worried that a difference of 1.28" might be too much; does anybody have that kind of height difference, and does it look weird?

I've been away from t-birds for a while so I don't remember a lot, but if I get the bags in my rear springs, does it lift the rear a little bit, or just it just make it more firm?

Attached is a pic of how it sits now

The cheapest and best way to do this may be to replace the spring insulators in the rear. If they are worn out, the rear will sag. Now, if those are not worn out, you can try a little bit longer spring in the rear. I don't think there's any need to go with air bags or staggered tire sizes, which would complicate tire rotation.

I'd keep tires the same diameter and install a set of air bags to adjust the rake. Keep in mind that raising the rear with air bags are whatever else, usually pushes the front down an equal amount.

What width is your wheel ?

David

Thanks for the info guys. I forgot about the rear spring insulators; I bought some at least 5 years ago and never installed them; hopefully I can still find them.

David - the width is 8.5"

Thanks,
Kris

I run a 2.12" taller tire on the rear of my XR7, compared to the front (245/45R17 front, 275/50R17 rear).

sideshot.jpg

P1090057.jpg

Mods list and more pics in my garage: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=24

Back