Differential carrier and tranny crossmember bushings

gbabione

I was installing new differential carrier and tranny crossmember bushings, the ones from SCP. I ran into 2 issues. I have a '90 SC. The crossmember bushings were rectangle and now are round. I read in a forum that I need a cap washer and different bolts for these new bushings. Can I buy new or can I use used? I could probably find used on here. Issue 2 is with the diff bushings. The manual shows torque to 65 - 100. That is the same way it shows torque for bolts on the motor as torque to 1st number then come back and torque to second number. So I took it as I should do the same here. After getting to 65, I thought why do they need to be any tighter. The nut is already on further than with the old ones. But I tried anyway. The bolt snapped before getting to 80! How tight do they need to be and where do I find new bolts? They like the type of bolts that aren't supposed to be reused because of stretching. Any info would be appreciated.

The torque spec for the forward diff bushings is 68-100 Lb-Ft.

This is a range, not a 2-step. That means that any torque reading within 68 to 100 Lb-Ft is acceptable. The bolts are reusable. All torque specs assume clean bolts. Rusty or damaged bolts will either produce a higher than normal torque reading, or, as in your case, break.

As for the cross member bushings, if you have square bushings, then buy new square poly bushings to replace them. Don't try to put the round peg in the square hole. :D

Last edited:
I bought the package deal from SCP since I needed new motor mounts and tranny mount. Knowing I can re-use the bolts is good. I can look for someone parting a car out.

That is why i waited....

They sell the square type and the round bushings...
Until i go back under the car and see which ones i have
then i will order...Maybe if you call Bill and explain you need the
other shape bushings n see if can send them back for the
correct bushings..

Tom

From what I have read, the round bushings are the only ones available. They definately fit. I just need the bolts. There's nothing special about them except the carrier bolt is M12 X 140mm. If anyone has these bolts and/or washers, I'll take them.

Back