Lots of mods but slow?

Here is a video of my 90 thunderbird sc. Has a lot of boltons but it's slow. Mods listed in description of video, please help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTqNAeko6Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's about what I would expect for these mods.

My 1990 thunderbird sc that i bought. has ported stock manifolds, cats removed, flowmaster mufflers, cold air intake, 73mm mafs raised blower top, blower silencer removed and 373 gears. Need some help on why it doesent run as good as it should.

Extra power comes from blower upgrades, more agressive cam and better flowing heads. Easiest way to bolt on more power is to upgrade to a ported late model blower or another blower based on the late model with rectangular inlet.

If that isn't in the budget, a 5% OD blower pulley or 5% JS pulley and a set of underdrive accesory pulleys will give you a good seat of the pants increase in acceleration.

David

I agree...looks like what my old 91 auto used to do with 3.73s, intake, exhaust and 10% blower OD...I think it dyno'd at like 190rwhp

It obviously left the line strongly. But 0-100 in 26 or 27 seconds? That does seem slow.

Were you going uphill? ;)

It obviously left the line strongly. But 0-100 in 26 or 27 seconds? That does seem slow.

Were you going uphill? ;)

I imagine the excessively hot temps we are having in the midwest this summer, is a big factor.

David

Last edited:
yes hot temps were the issue, on a 35 degree night awile ago I was dead even with a 02 camaro z28 ls1 with a tci 2500 stall and intake and catback.

Let us know where in NE you are located. Several of us get together a couple times a hear around Omaha and Lincoln.

If you need a good mechanic that knows Birds there is one in Lake Manawa at McMullen Ford.

i disagree, bypassing the intercooler completely with water injection will yield much better results

Id say with Meth injection youde get the octane and air charge temp cooling effects without the heat soak and restriction of stock IC. It be cool if someone did a test to see just how well this may work

I agree it's slow. O-60 in 12 sec and 60-97 in 12-27 sec (15 sec) is not what I'ld expect. My 95 running poorly feels faster 60-100. When my stock 90 5 spd would be up to 120 in the same time as I recall. Of Course time seems faster when I'm behind the wheel. All the same you seem to have some high end problem . The motor sounds good. I would look for a tranny problem or brakes dragging.

wooow..shes running like a dog..Id have to say since all the mods the computer isnt curiving enough to correct for them, its time you get a tune and dial those in for the real power....man, id have guessed it to be ALOT faster than that...my stock 9832v in my 97 Tbird walks all over that and its still untuned too..and its got a whole diff engine.

i disagree, bypassing the intercooler completely with water injection will yield much better results

Any reason not to run meth AND a bigger intercooler?

Can't say I've seen any of the fast guys in the club run without an IC of some sort.

due to the limited space constraints in our stock form our supercoupes are limited on intercoolers, thus any stock sized intercooler will eventually heat soak

with meth or water injection you can reduce ACTs but a heat soaked intercooler will limit the absolute amount of cooling possible

if you bypass the intercooler completely, you'll notice ACTs won't stay at higher temps after warming up

meth injection is nice but the cost of blue windshield washer fluid here is $2/gal where as water is basically free cheap, thus for a true street driver, water injection is the most practical alternative, then when you decide your going to be beating on it, you can replace the water with meth

Lots of good discussion...

But your care has problems. It is way slower than stock. You did 0-98 in 27 sec. A stock care will be there in a bit longer than a 1/4 mile which it covers 14-15 sec. You need to look for problems Cover the basics and look other stuff like the Banana in the tailpipe trick. You "Never want to fall for the banana in the tail pipe trick.";)

It does seem kind of slow o_O?
Those bolt ons should make it quicker than stock
But I guess tuning would help alot thats of course if there. snt any issues already on it like the tranny or having a rich condition
^ I had well have (on the process of fixing these), those problems made my car feel really weak first would pull strong 0-50 once it shifted it was a damn turtle
When mine was stock it used to feel faster than now that its gotten quite few of bolt ons
Hopefully soon I can tune it and get it going like it should

Btw on the comments on youtube Quick question how did u get 13.86 ? o_O was that a quarter mile time ? Cuz it took it about 12sec just to pick up 60mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejVEek0KShA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is an old vid of mine everything stock valve body messing up old blower supposed to be ported. But it was just junk. Worst port job ever

Last edited:
Back