89 sc need some advice

chuckles89

Hi I'm charlie I'm looking to buy an 89 sc off my buddy its got 124k on it and runs strong but has some issues that concern me like aod trans slips in 3rd gear only brake pedal goes to the floor e brake don't work and gauge read outs don't match electrical read out panel on dash plus seats don't go back that far and I'm a big guy but I've had my fair share of mustangs and cougars and I really want this sc love 3.8 have built up a coupe myself but to get my hands on this would be great but want other owners opinions is it worth it mechanical cause the body straight with no dents at all and interiors near mint he got it from orginal owner but its sat for 2 years now and id just like to know if putting a trans in it and fixing the minors stuff is worth it? Thanks in advance

Hi I'm charlie I'm looking to buy an 89 sc off my buddy its got 124k on it and runs strong but has some issues that concern me like aod trans slips in 3rd gear only brake pedal goes to the floor e brake don't work and gauge read outs don't match electrical read out panel on dash plus seats don't go back that far and I'm a big guy but I've had my fair share of mustangs and cougars and I really want this sc love 3.8 have built up a coupe myself but to get my hands on this would be great but want other owners opinions is it worth it mechanical cause the body straight with no dents at all and interiors near mint he got it from orginal owner but its sat for 2 years now and id just like to know if putting a trans in it and fixing the minors stuff is worth it? Thanks in advance

These are great cars. If the aod needs rebuilt that shouldn't be a deal killer. Upon rebuilding the trans install a trans cooler and bypass the factory radiator trans cooler. If the brake pedal is going to the floor then it is probably time for a new abs accumulator. It's an easy fix and not too expensive. I am not certain by what you mean the electrical read out panel doesn't match the gauge read outs. Are you referring to the vehicle maintenance monitor just above the radio? The only other be careful on a high mileage sc is head gaskets.

If the body is straight and rust free the rest of the stuff is pretty easy. I say go for it. I just put a transmission in a 91 and I am disabled. Not hard, just use the search on here and you can find the answer to just about any problem you come across.

If you buy it and want to mod it you need a built AOD. A stock AOD can't handle a modded SC, budget $2000 for a decent built setup. I'm not familiar with the early ABS but bad pedal and no E-brake makes me think time for new pads.

But if you got the time and money sounds good.

Thanks guy cause I was hoping it not being to bad but I know a lot more about stangs and. They aren't as intricate as sc's and I was already quoted 900 for a rebuild but I would like a shift kit and stall converter and the biggest external trans cooler I can get lol brakes were more my issue being these have abs and a lot of electronics and. yes the maintenance indacatior doesn't match gaues like gas gauge says full indicator say low fuel. And change øil I mean I just wanna know if the gauges are all working right and yes I do plan to mod car but only change hood for exterior and rape the ricers and punks in my town thanks again u guys :D

Thanks guy cause I was hoping it not being to bad but I know a lot more about stangs and. They aren't as intricate as sc's and I was already quoted 900 for a rebuild but I would like a shift kit and stall converter and the biggest external trans cooler I can get lol brakes were more my issue being these have abs and a lot of electronics and. yes the maintenance indacatior doesn't match gaues like gas gauge says full indicator say low fuel. And change øil I mean I just wanna know if the gauges are all working right and yes I do plan to mod car but only change hood for exterior and rape the ricers and punks in my town thanks again u guys :D

900 is a more than fair price to rebuild an aod if that includes the r&r. What rpm stall converter are you thinking of using?

89 sc stalling

I'm new at this and can't fiqure how to put this out there , I have a 89 SC that runs great ,recently it just dies. Then it takes 2-5 minutes before it starts again. It happened 4 times the other day before I parked it. Car is stock except cold air,and I think its called maf from,Supercoupe performace Any help would be appreciated

I'm new at this and can't fiqure how to put this out there , I have a 89 SC that runs great ,recently it just dies. Then it takes 2-5 minutes before it starts again. It happened 4 times the other day before I parked it. Car is stock except cold air,and I think its called maf from,Supercoupe performace Any help would be appreciated

I would try a new crankshaft sensor.

900 is a more than fair price to rebuild an aod if that includes the r&r. What rpm stall converter are you thinking of using?

idk I haven't done to much research but thinking like a 3500 stall should be fine but if u thinking something else will be better let me know but this car will stay in mostly stock form except for smaller bolt ons and exhaust this car his gonna be a DD/ import killer hate those punks with their hondas! :mad:

Too much stall. These cars make peak torque about 2300-2500 and start to die a 4000 and are done at 5k. Basically take everything you think you know from SBCs and Mustangs and throw it out the window.

idk I haven't done to much research but thinking like a 3500 stall should be fine but if u thinking something else will be better let me know but this car will stay in mostly stock form except for smaller bolt ons and exhaust this car his gonna be a DD/ import killer hate those punks with their hondas! :mad:

2600 RPM would be perfect. I use Edge racing converters but I believe many on here use dirty dog.

Too much stall. These cars make peak torque about 2300-2500 and start to die a 4000 and are done at 5k. Basically take everything you think you know from SBCs and Mustangs and throw it out the window.

damn guess I gotta go back and use my diesel and 3.8 n/a build up knowledge and tweak it for this baby lol will be well worth it when I beat my buddys 3.8 sn with 300hp now all I gotta do is figure out how to make it break into the 12s without cutting too much weight off of the car and myself lol cause when ur 6'2" 300lbs u ain't no little dude and I'm having an issue with the seats the driver one wont go back or forward u hear the motor engage but its like the tracks jammed but I don't ser nothing is this common?

damn guess I gotta go back and use my diesel and 3.8 n/a build up knowledge and tweak it for this baby lol will be well worth it when I beat my buddys 3.8 sn with 300hp now all I gotta do is figure out how to make it break into the 12s without cutting too much weight off of the car and myself lol cause when ur 6'2" 300lbs u ain't no little dude and I'm having an issue with the seats the driver one wont go back or forward u hear the motor engage but its like the tracks jammed but I don't ser nothing is this common?

Take the seat out and use some white grease on it. Lube them up and they will work again.

Back