Name of driveshaft to trans seal

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
Stupid question, but I tore mine removing my driveshaft. It's at the extreme end of the M5R2 and seals to the driveshaft. Is this the output shaft seal? The auto part stores have that part, but it looks different from what I have.

94 5-speed car, if it matters.

Stupid question, but I tore mine removing my driveshaft. It's at the extreme end of the M5R2 and seals to the driveshaft. Is this the output shaft seal? The auto part stores have that part, but it looks different from what I have.

94 5-speed car, if it matters.

Output shaft seal it is.

Thanks. Mine appears to have an extension on it, a sort of secondary seal that sticks about 1.5 inches past the end of the inner seal and the end of the tailshaft. Does it matter if the replacement doesn't have that extension?

Not even close, Advance.

What they gave me is on the left. What I need is on the right. Am I asking for the right part when I say output shaft seal or driveshaft seal?

217.jpg

ok... so we are going to call it a manual trans right?
I would try the name Overdrive Output Shaft seal, at least that is what rock auto calls something that looks like that, though the description says for AOD.

Timken #7692S
or
Timken #5202

google search will show you pictures.

I don't doubt that is a transmission output shaft seal, but likely the inner one.

Thank you. The part numbers definitely help. It gets frustrating when the little things hold up a project.

I usually call it a tail shaft seal.

Rock Auto has it under output shaft seal but doesn't offer a picture. But says for Mazda trans. Part# SKF 14900

And they reference E8TZ 7052 C which if I remember correctly the 7052 is the ford base part number for the seal you are looking for.

Last edited:
I purchased extension transmission seal from AutoZone. The manufacture is TIMKEN. Part number 5202. Price $12.99 plus tax. Location: Ford 3.8L automatic 4 speed transmission seal. Installation note. When installing the seal make sure the cone drain hole is located at the 6 o'clock position. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. Autozone had the Timken 5202 in stock, and I got it installed tonight after much frustration due to not having a real installation tool. I had to use a 3-inch to 2.5-inch exhaust pipe reducer, and it was less than ideal.

But it's in, and I'm one step closer to getting the trans back in the car.

Thanks again.

Back