Ongoing air conditioner trouble

dennis harle

First I want to thank everybody for helping me find air conditioner parts for my '95 sc. My mechanic has installed a new accumulator and liquid line, but now he tells me we have another problem. At idle the high side pressure is@325. When increasing rpms the reading maxes out and compressor does not kick out. Both cooling fans are running. Air coming out of dash is only cooling around 56 degrees. Has anybody got any ideas about how to solve this?

If the liquid line was replaced, then you got a new orifice tube. I hope said mechanic flushed the evap and condenser cores before recharging the system. If not, I am going to guess that one of those is partially restricted and/or you have too much refrigerant in the system.

The high side pressure switch should kick the compressor off if you have a restriction. Having said that, it does appear as though you have a restriction.

The high side pressure switch should kick the compressor off if you have a restriction. Having said that, it does appear as though you have a restriction.

Is there a high side pressure switch on the 94-95s? I thought, at least on the early cars, that there was only a low side pressure switch, and the high side pressure was regulated by the amount of charge. Maybe I am just crazy here.

Having said that, it does appear as though you have a restriction.
I'll vote for overcharged initially... with r134, less is more. Believe it or not, 24oz will actually do the job with a good compressor, condenser, liquid line. In any case, 32oz of r134 is tops.

My car was converted to r-134 several years before I got it. The ac didnt work when I bought it. I replaced the lower ac hose that has the orafice tube and recharged the system. I can't remember the recharge ratio when converting, but I do remember the amout we used to get the coldest air was a little lower than the recommended conversion amount. There is definately a sweet spot where it cools the best.

Back