Gears question

mikedenton49

So I have finally saved up the cash, and the wherewithal to get some 3.73's into my 93' AOD. I am interested in what you guys would do. I've read there is a nice cobra set up, and one from ford racing, that are pretty much bolt in as well as a handful of other options. Anything you've liked, disliked, would've done differently?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Get an aluminum pumpkin and and install kit. Using FRPP gears is perferred, but you can get different ones and have them prepped correctly. When you get them, be sure you get the matching speedo gear to match the tranny.

SWS

Interesting you say that. I have a set of FRPP 3.73's I purchased from a member a couple years ago.
So you think it would be beneficial to procure the parts neccassary for a rebuild and have a shop put it all together? That is rather than simply getting a sweet prebuilt unit and selling my gears?
Mike

Personally, I have a buddy build them for me. I know and trust him, so that is why building your own works for me and it's cheaper than buying one.

If you have the money to spend on a built kit go that route. Warranty and all included it's a good thing.

Personal preference and the reasoning behind it is something each person needs to workout for his/her self.

There are plenty of reviews out there on builders and rebuilders for buying a completed product. If you are going cobra you will need to get some 31 spling shafts special made. Ours are 28 spline incase that was a question out there.

Worry for my late reply on this. Yeah, I would get an aluminum Mark Viii pumpkin, swap over your locker and a set of gears. Its lighter (cant remember how much), but with these cars, every bit counts. FWIW, that is what I am going to do.

SWS

aluminum pumpkin

Regulator may still have the one I sold him up for sale. It's never been used and has the speedo gear taped to the side of it.

Back