Time For New Tires

rickbtbird

It's time to replace my Ultra High Performance Tires. I had a set of dedicated summer Firestone Wide Oval Tires. Firestone doesn't make that dedicated summer tire any more. I'm looking for suggestion on a new summer tire. Tirerack.com has pointed out that the Sumitomo HTR Z II is a replacement summer tire suited for this car.

The Sumitomos aren't very good. I have them on my Camaro only because they're the cheapest thing that will keep the rims off the asphalt, and who cares about street tire grip when you have race tires?

I just bought Bridgestone potenza's g019 grid. They aren't ultra HP summer tires but they are v rated so they handle pretty well. I found hunting a tire down in the stock 225/60-16 to be very difficult as most tires in that size are touring tires and not ultra performance.

I had Falken FK452's on the 94 V8 T-Bird that I had and was very pleased with them. When both SC's need tires again, that's probably what I will get.

I had a set of cooper rs3-s on my last wheels, loved them, currently on rzimmerls car
f6bf14d7.jpg

I just bought Bridgestone potenza's g019 grid. They aren't ultra HP summer tires but they are v rated so they handle pretty well. I found hunting a tire down in the stock 225/60-16 to be very difficult as most tires in that size are touring tires and not ultra performance.

I have these on my 5 speed car. I like em. I plan to take the car to MI mid september and run it on Gingerman. We'll see how they do on a road coarse. I daily drive this car and hammer the on/off ramps every chance I get.

I also have the HTR Z's on my fast car. They don't see the street much, the drag tires are on the car mostly. But Like Mercutio said they are cheap and who cares about street grip when you have race tires.:)

I like my Nitto 555's. The sumitomos are crappy..I currently have them because they came cheap..Not much for traction and sizing generally runs smaller

Will, you've tried the Z III Sumitomo and didn't like them? I have two friends that do track days that are using them, one as their only tire, the other as their street / wet track tire, and both are pleased. First car is a 1-series BMW, other is an 07 Mustang GT. I've gone for a ride on track in the BMW on a dry day, they hung on pretty well, weren't noisy, and stood up well to the abuse.

I know that the previous version Z II tires are not so great.

cheers
Ed

riken raptors for the win i love them. i have gotten 2.0 6ofts on them.

there only 104 a tire. they do wonderfully wet and dry.

Will, you've tried the Z III Sumitomo and didn't like them? I have two friends that do track days that are using them, one as their only tire, the other as their street / wet track tire, and both are pleased. First car is a 1-series BMW, other is an 07 Mustang GT. I've gone for a ride on track in the BMW on a dry day, they hung on pretty well, weren't noisy, and stood up well to the abuse.

I know that the previous version Z II tires are not so great.

cheers
Ed

Looks as if you're right, Ed. I've used the HTR Z and HTR Z II, but not the III. Sorry all for the bad info.

Back