4.25 to 4.5 wheel adapters

89XR7TD

SCCoA Member
My work has a few wheel companies but not a good
selection on tbird sc wheels so i been kicking the idea
of getting those aluminum wheel adapter spacers...
Can put wheels on the account and have a couple months
to pay off....
Hmmmmm

Tom

Why not hub swap and be done with it?

It's not that hard - darn easy on the front, and be a good excuse to swap bearings on the rear spindles (and go to poly or delrin knuckle bushings at the same time!)

It can snowball, though - because it'd also be a good time to upgrade brakes, oh look, that upper control arm is a bit ratty so new control arms on the front, etc. etc.

But spacers aren't a good idea. These cars are heavy enough that you run a risk of levering too much torque onto the front spindles with the extension the spacer gives you. Not to mention how far out it'll space the tires if you don't offset properly. And then you get to ditch THOSE rims when you finally DO hub swap!

RwP

I ran adapters for 6 or 7 summers on my 94. I think I payed around 240 for them at that was the cheapest I could find. An outfit in Canada made them for me. If you go that way and know what you're gonna do for rims, they can machine the hub-centric bore to match the hubs on the car and the rims you will install. Just remember to take in to account adapter thickness when you figure your wheel offset. Otherwise Ralph is right, that leverage will get the best of ya.
I have all the rear parts to hub swap, but I already have Sport package brakes so I can't decide if I should swap or not. No clue what I'd do for front rotors. Otherwise I'd offer to sell my adapters.
Good luck

do the mustang swap. then youll have hundreds to choose from as well as a brake upgrade without having to go and redrill rotors and stuff

I have all the rear parts to hub swap, but I already have Sport package brakes so I can't decide if I should swap or not. No clue what I'd do for front rotors. Otherwise I'd offer to sell my adapters.
Good luck

Sport rotors redrilled for the Mustang hub pattern for the back - Mustang 99-04 (03-04 preferable!) PBRs on the front, or even better, Cobra 13" rotors and calipers.

Find a set of caliper relocation brackets, or make them, and Cobra rear brakes.

The difference between them and factory brakes is supposedly like giving a suggestion to slow down from the passenger rear seat, and tossing a boat anchor out :D

RwP

Thanks for suggestions!

I was looking for a fast alternative to have a decent wheel
on before the Shootout and then add the brake and hub swap
A little after.... I may just use a half way decent wheel they
have and after Shootout return the wheels LoL...

But my selections through work for a tbird bolt pattern
only goes up to 17x8 and i would like to use the 275-40's
Nittos i already have for the back...and 255-40 in the front.

I might just have to roll down to Kentucky on 245-45's
on all corners with somewhat decent wheel.

This isn't a showcar SC yet since i just got it not long ago
but a nice set of wheels always makes a car that much better
:)!!

Tom

If they are 275/40R17 Nitto NT555's, they will "work" on a 17x8" wheel. They're actually quite a bit narrower than a "real" 275mm tire. I run that exact setup on the rear of my Mustang.

24Kmiles.jpg

That's with 24K miles on the tires already.

Back