think my electric fan died...howto check?

bigcletus94

Car overheated today and my fan switch wasnt turning the fan on. Turns out that it would not come on for anything. Is there a wire or some way of testing the fan before I buy a new one? Do other fords have a similar fan or is it SC specific? Any help is appreciated.

The fan should come on. The fact that you are overheating and the fan is not running is a good indicator that the fan motor is gone.

The fan is specific to the SC........I say this because your 94SC has a two speed fan. So you would need the same thing to replace it.

Ford does not sell the motor seperately, I think, and the entire fan itself is very expensive. Try an aftermarket source .....they should have a direct replacement two speed fan motor for the SC.

checked the fan this morning and it turned on when I flipped the switch I installed in the center console. The switch sends a ground to a relay that breaks the connection on that wire coming out of the fan control box. When I turned the MAX A/C on it also came on. When I switched the MAX A/C off and then went back to the MAX A/C the fan never came on again (unless I used the switch I installed). Could this mean the fan control box is bad? I think it is called the IRM but not possitive. I am confussed. Any help is appreciated. I really don't want to ruin my new motor already due to this heap overheating.

Also, the fuse in the big fuse box under the hood for the fan is melted into the box; the fuse never blew but the fuse actually melted into the box so that it will not come out. The wiring under the box is in pretty bad shape too. It has always been like that, since I bought the car. I disscovered it later on however. The best way I can think of to repair that would be to cut both wires under the box and run them into a new high-current fuse holder with a maxi fuse. I have heard of other SC owners having the same situation as this before.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the later model SC's, but on my '92 there are (2) temp sensors. One on the driver's side of the block controls the temp guage, and one on the passenger side (actually it's near the DIS/AC compressor area) that signals the IRCM. You may have a loose or bad lead from the sensor to the IRCM. Or, the sensor could be bad....... I installed a "Cool Fan Switch" made by Flex-a-Lite that is adjustable because my fan was way too slow kicking on. That and a 180* thermostat keeps her cool in the "Hot 'lanta" summer.

Back