Heating up with A/C on

1qwik99

Here is a quandry,

95 SC with A/C. AT. Ok, AC works great (its 110 degrees here in So Cal) with AC on, temp gauge gets to red. When I turn off AC, temp gauge goes back to normal. Car has 57K miles on it. Overflow tank has coolant in it but haven't checked the radiator yet.

Any ideas?

Yes, it did come on when I turned the AC on. I did notice that the radiator cap was a bit loose and when I removed it there was no pressure in the system. The overflow bottle was well below the HOT level and the coolant was high up in the neck. The cap had alot of "gunk" built up between the springs and it was easy to push on them. It looks to be the original Motorcraft 16lb cap. I guess I will start there.

Yes, it did come on when I turned the AC on. I did notice that the radiator cap was a bit loose and when I removed it there was no pressure in the system. The overflow bottle was well below the HOT level and the coolant was high up in the neck. The cap had alot of "gunk" built up between the springs and it was easy to push on them. It looks to be the original Motorcraft 16lb cap. I guess I will start there.

That, and I bet it's WAY overdue for a flush.

That "gunk" is probably all through the cooling system.

But yah, no pressure == overheat in weather nowadays with A/C on.

RwP

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going the Ford dealer today to have a rad flush and belt change done, we'll see what happens after that. I received 3 new Dayco belts from Victor and Diane at Spiningwheels.com

Here is a quandry,

95 SC with A/C. AT. Ok, AC works great (its 110 degrees here in So Cal) with AC on, temp gauge gets to red. When I turn off AC, temp gauge goes back to normal. Car has 57K miles on it. Overflow tank has coolant in it but haven't checked the radiator yet.

Any ideas?

Here in the Ft. Lauderdale area I'm seeing temps up to 220 or a little more when I jump on it with the a/c running. (I have Autometer Colbalt gauges.) If I keep the a/c off, I'm seeing a steady 190 - except when I get on it and I'll see 200.

It's just plain hot like on the sun out there. I try to drive with the windows down as much as possible.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC (modified)
'90 automatic SC (stock)

Thanks Eddie. If you are in So cal in April you can join some of us at the Knott's Fabulous Fords Forever Show. Be a nice vacation for your family :)

Here in the Ft. Lauderdale area I'm seeing temps up to 220 or a little more when I jump on it with the a/c running. (I have Autometer Colbalt gauges.) If I keep the a/c off, I'm seeing a steady 190 - except when I get on it and I'll see 200.

It's just plain hot like on the sun out there. I try to drive with the windows down as much as possible.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC (modified)
'90 automatic SC (stock)

Talk about efficient cooling!
On my SC, while driving her, I see the temp moving from 220 to 230. At 230 the fan kicks on, and stops at 220. It's a visciuos cycle :p If I unplug the A/C compressor and turn ON the A/C from the HVAC control panel the guage stays steady cool 200 :cool:

Trans filter w/gasket

Anyone know if FT102 is the correct trans filter kit for the automatic transmission 1995 SC

Thanks

Talk about efficient cooling!
On my SC, while driving her, I see the temp moving from 220 to 230. At 230 the fan kicks on, and stops at 220. It's a visciuos cycle :p If I unplug the A/C compressor and turn ON the A/C from the HVAC control panel the guage stays steady cool 200 :cool:

Get a new radiator, run a 180 degree thermostat, get a Dave Dalke tune to have the fans come sooner = cool running engine. Getting the tune to have fans come on sooner is key. Oh and if you are running an auto get a trans cooler and bypass the integrated trans cooler in the radiator.

Get a new radiator, run a 180 degree thermostat, get a Dave Dalke tune to have the fans come sooner = cool running engine. Getting the tune to have fans come on sooner is key. Oh and if you are running an auto get a trans cooler and bypass the integrated trans cooler in the radiator.

It does have a NEW radiator :D but I did install a stock thermostat (197 degree). It's in my plans to get a tune and to have the fans turn on at 200 degree. It probably would also help if I fixed the leaking thermostat :p

No it is not.

Anyone know if FT102 is the correct trans filter kit for the automatic transmission 1995 SC

Thanks

The number you need is an Autozone # TF211 the # you have there cross references to a TF215 which is not the correct one.

Smitty

Back