knuckle-head knuckle?

vettewars

I went to do the back brakes....
I found the wheel loose...and then the axle nut had somehow come loose....

3 weeks later.....got off the entire knuckle piece (with wheel bearing destroyed, hub destroyed)...but good einstein father of heavenly science..... the bottom 2 bolts were impossible to get off..... they were rusted solid to the sleeves....in other words my car was riding on hinging bolts against A-frame......

the top bolt came off no problem....I managed after one week to work one of the bottom bolts loose....the sleeve is messed up.....but the other bolt was fused, rusted solid into the sleeve...had to cut it off.

The top bolt is definitely a 14mm...the 2 bottom bolts what are they?...they are UNAVAILABLE...nothing in the supply house matches these.

The knuchle by the way lists at $400.....with bearing included...well isn't that nice....hope you still have a good hub which goes for about $120.

Bottom line...in this land of plenty is there anyway to replace the rubber bushings with new sleeves and bolts that actually match the sleeves?

Next stop....the twilight zone....er...a junk yard 2 hours away that has an SC buried in mud....uh dear....see ya in about 3 days.

You could get poly bushings from MN12performance.com. Only thing is you'll need to replace both sides since they are poly instead of rubber. New bolts should be available from Ford I imagine.

The lower bolts are M14 x 101 mm long ... the number changes up a few times, but is now discontinued from Ford. The latest p/n was N806365 S1050, some dealers may have in their inventory still ... unfortunately I can't do a U.S. dealer search from north of the border here.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

sorry, don't know what you mean by M14...but the top is clearly 14mm....the bottoms are not only a bit smaller...but of different material....is that why they're in such bad shape compared to the top which looks like new?

MN12performance is the answer...my hat is off to Rich...thanks bro for coming up with this awesome fix....I don't need both sides (all 6 bushings) for $150 but it's alot better than a new knuckle...

Ya all out there think about lubing or spraying the bottom bolts somehow...that's what I'll be doing on my other SCs....
but I still fear the bolts could be rusted within the sleeves....all my SCs are vintage 89 to 92 and only one is carefully garaged...

Called Rich and he's on his way out of town...I had to order through SCCOA.....$165 for the kit...and it cannot be broken up.

No bolts included but Bill Evanoff measured the ID of the sleeve as .562" which is about 14.2 something mm....it was the same on top and bottom sleeves...which I'm hoping the genious who came up with this kit allows it to work universally with 14mm bolts.

BTW...the stock lower bolts are 14mm on the outer edge...it's just the inner part is tapered to under 14mm.

Back