Need some suspension help gang

90sc35thann

I did a complete rebuild on front and rear suspension. Control arms, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, springs, tokico shocks, strut rod bushings, rear control arm bushings, rear sway bar links, etc. you get e picture. I must also say I am pretty anal. -) anyway my right front wheel while driving doesn't feel right. I can sometimes hear a rattle and sometimes it is tight as heck. While on the ground I can move the tire side to side and feel play but then I scratch my head as the tie rods are new. The rack to frame bushings look ok. So then I thought is the hub/bearing assembly going south? But I don't get any play wiggling the tire from top to bottom. Could my rack be wiped out causing this on the passenger side only? The rack doesn't leak fluid and the driver side feels tight as hell. I am stuck on this. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Nevermind. I had an extra set of hands come over and it is the passenger side of the rack jacking up and down inside the rack. Driver is tight as hell and the passenger side is literally rattling. It made itself apparent when I pulled off the bellows boot. Fun stuff. I wish I had known while the engine was out and I had a front wheel alignment done. Errrrrrr!

Nevermind. I had an extra set of hands come over and it is the passenger side of the rack jacking up and down inside the rack. Driver is tight as hell and the passenger side is literally rattling. It made itself apparent when I pulled off the bellows boot. Fun stuff. I wish I had known while the engine was out and I had a front wheel alignment done. Errrrrrr!

Ouch.

I'm in the middle of a rack swap myself (and doing the Cobra PBR upgrade, which calls for a Gen II / Mark VIII spindle to mount the brackets, which calls for the Gen II sway bar end links, which I discovered the passenger upper ball joint boot torn, and I'm replacing the 1-Moog 1-TRW LCAs with a pair of Raybestos, and I'm replacing the old power steering hoses with new AN-6 (pressure side) and rubber (return side), and replacing the cooler with a bigger one, and .. and .. and .. AIEEEEEE!!!!!! STOP ME PLEASE!!!! :D

Seriously, now would be a good time to replace the PS hoses also, since you'll have the fluid out while the rack is being swapped.

RwP

Ouch.

I'm in the middle of a rack swap myself (and doing the Cobra PBR upgrade, which calls for a Gen II / Mark VIII spindle to mount the brackets, which calls for the Gen II sway bar end links, which I discovered the passenger upper ball joint boot torn, and I'm replacing the 1-Moog 1-TRW LCAs with a pair of Raybestos, and I'm replacing the old power steering hoses with new AN-6 (pressure side) and rubber (return side), and replacing the cooler with a bigger one, and .. and .. and .. AIEEEEEE!!!!!! STOP ME PLEASE!!!! :D

Seriously, now would be a good time to replace the PS hoses also, since you'll have the fluid out while the rack is being swapped.

RwP

I appreciate the feedback. I just did an engine rebuild about 800 miles ago and replaced all of the power steering hoses including the high pressure hose while the engine was out. This is just insult to injury as it would have been a breeze while the engine and suspension were out of the car. Now..................not so much.

"Not so much" is right. Ouch.

Best of luck on it!

BTW - My suggestion is to pop the outer tie rod ends off the spindles, and take the inners off the old one, to make it easier to work around.

That and a BFRBR (Big Effin' Ratcheting Breaker Bar) because I couldn't get my impact wrench in to get the bolts loose. I also used a 24mm open end through the slots in the K-member to get to the rear nuts to loosen - not sure what I'll do to tighten (maybe start with the ratcheting box end on that wrench?) One of my cats made it VERY difficult to get a socket in (it's about 2" from the crossmember. Ouch.)

Best of luck.

Oh - there's some discussion about brands of reman'ed racks on TCCoA. May want to check that out - some brands seem to be very prone to leaking when "rebuilt".

RwP

"Not so much" is right. Ouch.

Best of luck on it!

BTW - My suggestion is to pop the outer tie rod ends off the spindles, and take the inners off the old one, to make it easier to work around.

That and a BFRBR (Big Effin' Ratcheting Breaker Bar) because I couldn't get my impact wrench in to get the bolts loose. I also used a 24mm open end through the slots in the K-member to get to the rear nuts to loosen - not sure what I'll do to tighten (maybe start with the ratcheting box end on that wrench?) One of my cats made it VERY difficult to get a socket in (it's about 2" from the crossmember. Ouch.)

Best of luck.

Oh - there's some discussion about brands of reman'ed racks on TCCoA. May want to check that out - some brands seem to be very prone to leaking when "rebuilt".

RwP

Yeah I hear fenco is terrible I was going to use A1-cardone but I should probably check out the thread on tccoa. I used to prefer trw reman racks but they are gone as I understand it.

Last edited:
Back