EDIS vs DIS

r1dd1ck913

I did some searching and cant find what I want to know. What is the differences between DIS and EDIS. Are they both OBD or is one of them OBDII. Is one system better then the other?

dis and edis refers to the ignition has nothing to do with the ecu directly

as for the supercoupe, all supercoupes 89-95 are eec4 which are obd1

edis uses a 35 tooth reluctor and an edis module

dis uses a 3 vane reluctor and an external tfi module (often called DIS module)

edis is much more durable and reliable it also has a much better spark and is less prone to issues

That helps. I have a 94 block in my 91 SC. So I have the mount for the EDIS. The wiring on the edis system looks cleaner. Has anyone done this before?

For edis I believe you need.
Front Cover - you have that
VR sensor and mount
EDIS-6 module
36-1 Crank mounted reluctor (probably just get late model balancer)

May need to tweak some wiring. EDIS was mounted on the fender. VR sensor is two wire sensor and polarity matters.

I have done it on my cougar. Reworked the wiring harness to run EDIS. Uses the same coil, the DIS module comes out and the EDIS module has to mount on the inner fender wall. If you have the 94 you should have the crank sensor and harness. The 94-95 motors have the sensor mount cast into the timing chain cover. The 89-93 had a bracket that holds the sensor. If you keep the ECU from the older car I think there is a change with the PIP wiring to make it work, I will have to look at my wiring diagrams to remember.

Back