my new SC, still in newbie status!

superdadsc

Well I have missed having a SC and I bought one today. It is a 90 auto. The car has issues that need to be adressed and of course I have performance in mind. I bought an auto because I am tired of shifting my daily driver. My 928 has a 5spd so that will take care of that itch.

The tranny sucks. OD comes and goes, it shifts OK but isnt what it should be. I am not familiar with auto's at all. I had the car at a local shop and it is going into tomorrow for exhaust work, high flow cat's into a magnaflow into two flowmasters 2 1/2 all the way. I told the guy about the tranny and he said they were notorious for that, GREAT. He told me to look into summit racing and buy a valve body for it. So any thought, anyone know of a nice product that can help! The car is going to be setup as a DD.

The blower will only produce 7 lbs of boost. Figured it was a vacum leak and the diaphram, bladder or whatever it is called behind the blower is leaking. the blower itself is leaking were the top attaches, should be easy there.

I am looking at Rich's MP11 blower for sale. Might be getting into deep water here. Can I buy that blower and use my snout? I need another plenum right? Could I do that and add the intake, maf, tb, injectors and a tune later. In other words just swap blowers for now?

Excited to be back in a SC. They are just to much fun to play with and moddify.

Stephen

Attachments

• photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 578
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 532
Welcome back. Thats an interesting color. There shouldn't be an OD light on that car. There was someone on Tccoa selling a valvebody for cheap, not sure if its still available.

Thanks! Don't know about a light, I just lost OD and was driving down the highway at around 3000k.
Looked into monster trannies. They sell a heavy duty trany for a little over 1200 that can handle 450 hp which I will never see.
Anyone hear of them or use their product. Anyone here just buy a aftermarket rebuild like that?
Also interested if the MPII can replace my blower with just a plenum or do I need a lot of supporting stuff?

Thanks

Stephen

Thanks! Don't know about a light, I just lost OD and was driving down the highway at around 3000k.
Looked into monster trannies. They sell a heavy duty trany for a little over 1200 that can handle 450 hp which I will never see.
Anyone hear of them or use their product. Anyone here just buy a aftermarket rebuild like that?
Also interested if the MPII can replace my blower with just a plenum or do I need a lot of supporting stuff?

Thanks

Stephen

Get a good rebuild done on the transmission and if possible upgrade the drums to ratcheting style drums if it is using sgrag style drums. A good Kevlar od band will be a good addition. Skip buying a new valve body unless you plan on serious racing and have a Fairbanks shift kit installed at the time of rebuild. Get a good converter, nothing too crazy, 2600 rpm stall speed should suffice nicely. Lastly it would be my recommendation to ditch the stock radiator trans cooler and use a stand alone trans cooler. That setup would serve you well unless of course like I said you plan on making it a serious racer. Then I could make some recommendations for that too.

The supercharger would help but you will only realize it's true potential with all of the other goodies to go along with it. Larger intercooler, cai, throttle body, maf, inlet plenum, raised top, and larger fuel injectors and fuel pump.

Welcome back! I am also recently back from an 8 year hiatus.

Thanks for the tranny info. The SC would just be the start and add on all the other stuff in the future. The near future.:D
The MPII sounds like all the blower I will need when I am finished in regards to HP goals.

Stephen

You can check the TV cable grommet on the throttle body. Make sure its still there and the cable nipple is pressed into it. What I would do also is adjust the TV cable to add some line pressure in the trans. If you look at the cable end at the TB you will see some teeth in it. You can pull a tab up so the end will slide. And what I do is release the catch on the end. Pull the TB open all the way then adjust the cable as tight as you can. It'll make it shift hard but maybe give it enough to hold OD.

You can check the TV cable grommet on the throttle body. Make sure its still there and the cable nipple is pressed into it. What I would do also is adjust the TV cable to add some line pressure in the trans. If you look at the cable end at the TB you will see some teeth in it. You can pull a tab up so the end will slide. And what I do is release the catch on the end. Pull the TB open all the way then adjust the cable as tight as you can. It'll make it shift hard but maybe give it enough to hold OD.

If the od band is wiped out adjusting the tv cable won't bring it back to life. Increasing line pressure is a good thing but once the od band burnt it's too late.

Thanks again! Check cable and I have OD again. I pulled the cable until the butterfly started to open and tightened it then. Should I have pulled it until it was all the way open? Still mussy shift from 1 to 3rd. OD likes to take its time but will activate.

Stephen

Glad to see you finally got one! Kinda like the color combo! Mine is still available if you know anyone interested??? :D

Kyle

Thanks again! Check cable and I have OD again. I pulled the cable until the butterfly started to open and tightened it then. Should I have pulled it until it was all the way open? Still mussy shift from 1 to 3rd. OD likes to take its time but will activate.

Stephen

It won't last. Once that band burns it's all over. During the time it takes od to activate from the 3-4 shift that band is slipping and heating up. If it lasts a week that way I would be surprised. Get that trans rebuilt before you break an internal hard part and it costs you even more money.

Thanks David! Kyle I wanted to get yours but the wife wanted me to spend less which means I will spend more but she doesnt get that!:confused:

David what did you do to your AOD? Seems to have been treating you right for years!

The exterior of that car looks really clean! And as David stated, very nice color combo as well. Is the interior as nice as the exterior? Good luck with it man, it's worth every penny for the smiles (and cursing) it'll cause :D

David what did you do to your AOD? Seems to have been treating you right for years!

Lentech street terminator VB w/ OD delete
Lentech hardened 3-4 shaft
AOD performance rebuild (extra clutches and Kevlar OD band)
Dual B&M 24K GVW stack plate tranny coolers w/800 CFM fan
Dirtydog 9.5 non-locking 3500 stall converter
Performance Automatic locking dipstick
Lentech cast aluminum transmission pan
Solid Transmission Mount

David

Last edited:
I love the lentech valve bodies. A bit pricey but they work. Unless you are Only drag racing the car and not driving it on the street often I would recommend against a non locking converter. Just my opinion.

I love the lentech valve bodies. A bit pricey but they work. Unless you are Only drag racing the car and not driving it on the street often I would recommend against a non locking converter. Just my opinion.
I disagree that non-locking converters should only be used in drag racing cars. Dave and I have the same converter and had no problems making the 2800+ mile Hot Rod Power Tour this year. That said, if you are looking to get any kind of decent gas mileage, stay away from the non-locking converter.

I disagree that non-locking converters should only be used in drag racing cars. Dave and I have the same converter and had no problems making the 2800+ mile Hot Rod Power Tour this year. That said, if you are looking to get any kind of decent gas mileage, stay away from the non-locking converter.

It is just an opinion. My recommendation mentioned nothing of heat or longevity. I as well have used a non-locking converter in AOD for years with excellent longevity and results. IMO it just wouldn't be necessary on a car that is more of a street machine than that of a strip machine.

Back