Motorcraft FL-400 Filter

90sc35thann

has anyoen esle noticed how much shorter this filter is now compared to what it was just a few months ago? What a joke. I used to use this filter due to it's extended length now it is worse than some of the 3rd party brands out there.

I noticed that as well. I guess Ford is using the same filter for something else now and had to make it fit.

Just an FYI, The Fram version as well as STP is a 3600, but it has a short counterpart with a number of 3614. The only reason I know this is because when my motor mounts were bad the longer filter would be very tight against the PS lines and cables running across the subframe and rub a lot and the 3614 short version would fit better.

No problem now, but something to remember.

Smitty

The FL-400S is shorter, but it doesn't seem *that* significantly shorter.

I just ran out of a batch I bought a couple years ago, and used my first 'new' one off the shelf last week and did notice the difference.

I used to run Motorcraft FL- 400s filters on my SC's but when the shorter version came out I started using Purolator PureONE filters part# PL20195. I just didn't feel comfortable with the shorter filter even though I read it had the same amount of filter element as the original 400s.

Just stumbled upon this....I'm assuming there is really no big difference with the smaller filter right? I wonder if anyone has actually cracked open both versions to check the insides.

I wonder if anyone has actually cracked open both versions to check the insides.

I seem to recall at least one website where someone did just that - google is your friend...for me, it's about having a filter with drain back protection - having that seems to also indicate a better than avg. product overall. I use the K&N with the wrench-nut on the end.

But yeah, low quality filters seem easy to find if you're not careful, regardless of brand.

Back