california emissions?

I recently orderd a build sheet for my sc. I received it and to my amazement my car has california emissions. what is the difference between california and 48 state emissions? What would i look for to tell the difference?

One difference is that in California, all of the emissions stuff is regulated by CARB (California Air Resource Board). And it just so happens that they're all a bunch of lunatics! Good luck.

One difference is that in California, all of the emissions stuff is regulated by CARB (California Air Resource Board). And it just so happens that they're all a bunch of lunatics! Good luck.

CARB implemented OBD1 standards and OBD2 followed by the Federal government. California is not the ONLY state to impose regulations.

You can thank former California Governer / President Ronald Reagan for CARB, and you can thank the SAE for standardizing protocols, and the Federal government for adopting the Clean Air Act.

FYI .. there are more cars in California than any other state, there are more cars in California than ALL of Canada.

If its a 94/95 SC, they are the same for all 50 states. There are 49 other states by the way, not 48.

- Dan

Last edited:
thanks for the info. 49 hmmmm must have forgot west by god virgina. lol! thanks again Dan, thats pretty much what i wanted to hear.

in California, all of the politicians and tree huggers are a bunch of lunatics! Good luck.

I fixed your statement. CA is a bunch of BS when it comes to getting a car/registering one. We moved here 2.5 years ago for my wife's job. I brought my "truck" (Explorer Sport Trac. Yeah. With the 4'long bed) with us. Has been nothing but a pleasure paying the $400 extra each year for having the privilege of owning a vehicle, that by state law has to be registered and tagged as a commercial vehicle "because with the bed it has the capability to be used for commercial purposes. Ugh..

I have yet to move my SC here. It is residing in beautiful VA still with my brother. When I have the funds and time I hope to move it here to begin wrestling it through CA emissions.

FYI .. there are more cars in California than any other state, there are more cars in California than ALL of Canada.
- Dan

I was at Costco to get gas yesterday, and there were 5 Prius (Prei or whatever the correct term for a group of them is called) followed by 2 Chevy Volts. All in the same line. They had to have done it on purpose.

But, I wouldn't count those as being "cars". But, for every Volt or Prius in Cali, I think there are 2 Lambos/Ferraris/Porsche/Bentlys rolling around LA here.

Sucks that they think your running a business through interstate commerce with your big ole truck.

The 'wonderful' state of California has been a pain in the kabonza for the Trucking industry for a long time. I would have the axles set for the proper weight distribution so I'd be under 34,000 lbs on my trailer axles. You'd get pulled into the scalehouse, stopped in front of the scale. The DOT officers would come out with a tape measure & see how far your trl axles were from the 5th wheel on the truck. If you're pulling a 53' trl, they'd always say you were in violation of the 'bridge law' :eek:, make you slide you axles forward to comply, roll you across the scale, see that your now OVERWEIGHT :mad:, and write you a nice big overweight fine.... complete with a court date. Which, is very convenient, if you live in Missouri. I would not want to live there. Nothing but a pain.

It sounds like they just make it difficult for everybody. Although, I do enjoy vacationing there for some of the beautiful sights. :)

Back