Interesting Knock

LIVipers

Well, my motor is starting to knock. But its not a typical knock. The motor has 46k on it, and it only knocks at idle. When i give it throttle, it goes away, so im assuming it cant be a rod knock. It sounds like its coming from the bottom front of the motor, by the balancer.

Is there a possibility the timing chain cover is rubbing on something?

I had a similar knock after installing a Dorman balancer and pulley. The unit came preassembled, and the pulley wasn't installed correctly and although the balancer was solid, the pulley was wobbling and knocking. Maybe check to see if all your bolts are there and tight.

That was it, one of the pulley bolts i was able to turn 1/4 of a turn, and that stopped it. No more embarrassing knock.

Not sure what balancer you have, but most of, if not all, BHJ's need the pulley mounting holes tapped deeper. The bolts will seem to snug up, but they're actually bottoming out. After driving for a few hundred miles, they will work loose and start letting the pulley wobble.

I'm currently using the stock balancer and crank pulley, I have not upgraded to the BHJ yet

For those of you who come across this thread, this information is still relevant for future reference:

This problem was caused by a wobbling crank pulley. One of the bolts in the crank pulley was lose. I tightened that up and it went away....for a little bit. Upon further inspection one of my balancer holes is stripped:rolleyes: so that will be changed.

Just updating in case anyone comes across this in the future

Tom

Back