Help with turbo identification??

smith181992

Not sure if I'm posting this thread in the right forum...but its the closest one I could find...anyways, I'm looking for some help figuring out what kind/size turbocharger I have here....I picked it up for little of nothing from a guy that came in the shop wanting to sell it. He "claimed" it was too big for his mustang so he took it off...sound like a lie to me i know. I've searched online for a couple hours and came up with nothing except a reference to an evo III turbo, which I don't think it is. I'm fixing to try and post some pics after posting this to try and help you guys out, meanwhile, here's all the info I know about it:

Serial number: MZ0603022
On the hot side of the turbo is also stamped: A/R .63
built in wastegate

That's all I know about it...just wondering if its worth my time, or if its a cheap Ebay turbo, whoever can try to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

sounds like a guy stole it or found out that its defective and is trying to pawn it off onto some other sucker.

you can do a quick google search of how to identify factory turbos or just simply how to identify a turbo. it will tell you how to measure the flanges and turbine wheels. then if you still don't know the manufacturer you'll know what kind of horsepower it will support and make your own decision wether to use it or not.

and if its a .63 a/r turbine with a built in wastegate its not too big for a mustang. if anything its too small for a v8. its a good exhaust turbine for a v6 mustang. and even for a v6 its not a big turbine. sooo...yeah i'm going with the theory that its stolen or broken.

I would believe the stolen part because I don't know the guy...but everything looks good on the turbo...no cracks in housings and turbines have no nicks at all...turbines feel perfect spinning them by hand, but not sure if that amounts to anything...as for searching for the size of the turbo...Thanks, I didn't think to research that so I will..but I'm more interested in the brand than size...If its a descent brand, then I'll take it apart and put new seals in it and look further in it before installing....another thing this guy said that I just remembered was he said he was pushing 43 pounds of boost with it...which sounds STUPID to me...lol, especially as small as this one looks...

I tried posting pictures, but it says they are too large and I have no idea how to make them smaller or anything

Back