Correct Level of Fluid for Blower

dakotaflstf

This is an FYI, so please don't kill the messenger as this is not up for debate, just passing along info. for the club.

Ok, I have heard and have an OEM service manual that says to fill these units to the bottom of the fill plug. But, just got off the phone with Magnuson Products (805-642-8833) technical dept which supplies GM their blowers and rebuilds. EATON appointed these guys as their ONLY representative for sales and rebuilds of blowers. Magnuson said for my 91' SC (different cars have different amounts) that it should have no more than 8oz. added to the system for a complete fill, not up to the plug. They explained that there needs to be room in the nose to breathe and if it's filled with oil that it will blow the seal.

Along with this, is the all time question of which blower oil. Magnuson said that either FORD or GM will work, just make sure it is synthetic blower oil and not a substitute.

Hope this may help anyone out there

When the oil gets hot it expands. This is exactly why all repair manuals say to only check the fluid level when the car is cool and only fill it to the bottom of the threads. There is plenty of room for expansion in the nose provided you don't over fill it. The spinning of the SC lubricates the parts in the snout by slinging oil around. Just like a small lawnmower engine.

I agree that overfilling can cause problems.

Bob

Back