torque converter or tranny

rad70

After a hard acceleration and a hard stop at a stoplight I now have very poor acceleration. At this point I suspect that the one way clutch in the tc has locked up as all worked well before. What I'm wondering is if there is any way to tell without dropping tranny and if it can be driven until I can. Appreciate any help.

After a hard acceleration and a hard stop at a stoplight I now have very poor acceleration. At this point I suspect that the one way clutch in the tc has locked up as all worked well before. What I'm wondering is if there is any way to tell without dropping tranny and if it can be driven until I can. Appreciate any help.

If you are referring to a 90sc that is in your profile the torque converter on an aod has no clutches. It locks up via a shaft that connects directly from the torque converter to the 3rd gear drum. So you can remove the converter from the equation.

Did your tv cable come loose? That's what it sounds like. It sounds like you lost line pressure. If you reconnect it you may get lucky but sometimes that burns up the clutch packs extremely quickly.

toast?

Need a second opinion, the tv line seems fine, has not broken, is loose or come apart anywhere, had a buddy step on the gas and it looks like it runs through its whole range at the linkage. It takes a long slow time to get out of first but once it hits 2nd it goes to 3rd right away and then it seems normal, goes to od and kicks down good. Reverse is good. I'm thinking I should start looking for another tranny.

Need a second opinion, the tv line seems fine, has not broken, is loose or come apart anywhere, had a buddy step on the gas and it looks like it runs through its whole range at the linkage. It takes a long slow time to get out of first but once it hits 2nd it goes to 3rd right away and then it seems normal, goes to od and kicks down good. Reverse is good. I'm thinking I should start looking for another tranny.

It sounds like you fried the clutch packs. I would get The transmission rebuilt. Bypass the factory trans cooler that is built into the radiator and get a stand alone trans cooler. If you can afford a lentech valve body it is worth the money and adds quite a bit of longevity to the trans if not I would recommend a good shift kit from Fairbanks.

Back