Power Steering Pulley Stuck

JeepsterSC

I have not been able to remove the p/s pulley with the puller that I have. The pulley appears to be rusted to the shaft. I have tried using Liquid Wrench and Zep 45, and all I've managed to do is mangle the lip of the p/s pulley

Can I heat the pulley with an propane or acetylene torch, or would I run the risk of ruining the pump?

Are you using this pulley puller?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_17632179-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-17632179&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17632179&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

I know they make 2 different types and the other designed unit is junk IMHO. You can use heat but I wouldn't trust the pump afterwards, you'll likely burn up the seals.

-Tim

I tried one from Harbor and didn't have much luck with it. I rented the one from Advance Auto but you still have to be careful. The split pieces have one certain way that they hold better. Just go slow. If you need a pulley I should have an extra for a small fee :D

The puller you have is the good one. Do you have the correct side of the half moon pieces pulling for you? The curve on one side is not as sharp as the other....thats about all I can think would be keeping you from pulling it and it actually slipping...

I've had some super rusted parts cars where everything was rusted...current parts car has rust in the glove box from the actual dash frame rusting and the pulley pulled off... :eek:

I also have a pulley if you need one...

-Tim

Matt,

While you have tension on the pulley, tapping it with a hammer may help break it loose. A torch should help as well, I'd just try to use minimal heat and check the snout seal for leaks before reusing.

Helpful hint for those using Harbor Freight P/S pulley puller

The collar that holds the two halves of the jaws together is too big and will allow the jaws to open by as much as 3/16 of an inch as you tighten the puller. You need to stick some kind of spacer between the ring and the jaws, or use a hose clamp to hold the jaws together (I used a trunk key from an SC)

The image shows how much the jaws can spread apart while attempting to remove the pulley (notice the gap on the right side in between the two jaws of the puller). This allows the tool to begin to slip up over the lip of the pulley

Attachments

• 0910121417.jpg
    0910121417.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 715
I had the same problem. Broke the lip right off the pulley. Solution - new pump and replace pulley. I already had both, the pump was planned because it was leaking and the pulley just happened to have a spare. Good luck.
Alan

Matt,

I have a really nice Snap-On puller / installer set, if you guys would like to borrow it.

I don't think it will be necessary, thank you very much though. Once I was able to get the jaws to fully grip the lip the pulley came off. I'll definitely be looking at a good brand name puller in the future

Back