10% pulley at altitude

red766

I live at 7200 feet, and drive at 6000-7000 feet all the time. I live in Colorado. Air is thin no doubt. I want more speed and so have put a 10% smaller pulley on the sc. the boost gauge, so far I have only been able to get it to 8%. My other sc I got up to 11%. Both are stock motors other than cold air intake systems. I just read in a posting that adding a 10% pulley to a stock motor is what idiots do. I'm fairly new at this sc stuff, so my question is , is it okay to put the smaller sc pulley on a stock motor at high altitude without worrying about something going bad/wrong? what else can I do to get more horsepower at this altitude... needless to say I love my sc. it's 95 with 5 spd.

Last edited:
I live at 7200 feet, and drive at 6000-7000 feet all the time. I live in Colorado. Air is thin no doubt. I want more speed and so have put a 10% smaller pulley on the sc. the boost gauge, so far I have only been able to get it to 8%. My other sc I got up to 11%. Both are stock motors other than cold air intake systems. I just read in a posting that adding a 10% pulley to a stock motor is what idiots do. I'm fairly new at this sc stuff, so my question is , is it okay to put the smaller sc pulley on a stock motor at high altitude without worrying about something going bad/wrong? what else can I do to get more horsepower at this altitude... needless to say I love my sc. it's 95 with 5 spd.

The problem with the 10% pulley on a stock motor is the heat it generates spinning the blower faster. Once the ACT temps climb the computer will pull a ton of timing to protect the motor. If your only get 8 lbs off boost on a stock motor with a 10% pulley than it sounds like something isnt right somewhere. For more power you need a free flowing exhaust and a free flowing intake system flowing into the blower (Bigger TB, MAF a good cone filter) Those are the basics, from there the skys the limit besides your pocket book, for making power

Ken

Back