3.5" pypes single exhaust ?

jludorf

I need some exhaust help for my car. Yesterday after a very short period of time my resonator failed. I am on resonator #3. The car sounds horrible as a result of course.

I am looking to install a fuel surge tank in the right rear muffler locations so I am going to change to a larger single exit exhaust that exits on the driver's side rear. Casey suggested a 3.5" pypes muffler and I believe he said "Binks" has on on his turbo car but does anybody with a supercharger have one also? I would like to hear sound clips of the car with the single exit exhaust.

My thoughts are to install 3" tubes right off my long tube headers and installing a dual 3" inlet/3.5" outlet resonator and a single 3.5 muffler on the ds rear in the stock location. "Binks" what mufflers did you use?

If there are some suggestions for the mufflers please let me know.

John

I used the pipes race muffler, love it.
381E8866-8E54-4234-B09F-AE5A8630FE2C-2455-00000315215C41EB.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut07C186dzo

Crappy vid, definitely going to sound different w/o a turbo muffling it.

Last edited:
windows up its not loud at all, can hold normal conversations just fine. It would be loud on a blower car, turbos really quiet exhaust notes down

Thanks for the info. At this point sound levels are not as important as it not sounding like crap just cruising at 30miles an hour. It was so raspy this morning I just drove to the exhaust shop and dropped it off. They were reviewing the Pypes specs and if they cannot get that brand up here they will put something similiar and I can order one in for them to install later if I do not like the sound. Before the resonator failed it sounded pretty good for a 6cyl. I am installing a chamber style muffler where the resonator was also to try and tame it down a bit. My biggest concern will be ground clearance as the car is already pretty low.

Over the winter I will build my daily driver which will have a quieter exhaust system.

Thanks David I will look into that. It sounded pretty good while it lasted. Exhaust is off the car now and the new system will be on by tomorrow. They are using a twist style resonator instead of the packing style. Should be interesting to see how that sounds.

Just curious but how do you know if you have the right amount, too much or too little back pressure on a given engine?

Thanks,

John

I had same exhaust!

3.5 exhaust...had that on my 89 5speed
It was very loud n droney when it did run LoL.
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks David I will look into that. It sounded pretty good while it lasted. Exhaust is off the car now and the new system will be on by tomorrow. They are using a twist style resonator instead of the packing style. Should be interesting to see how that sounds.

Just curious but how do you know if you have the right amount, too much or too little back pressure on a given engine?

Thanks,

John

It's not the backpressure, but the scavaging.

Ideally you'd have 0 back pressure and full scavaging.

Practically, that doesn't happen.

RwP

We had dual 2.5 before now we will have a single 3.5". I guess I will see how much louder it will be.

I picked up the old system today so I took a picture of the progress. It is a bit blurry.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 101
Well brought the car home and inside the car with the windows up it did not seem too loud. But when I got out of the car and left it idling it is slightly louder but drone seems to be minimal and there is no more raspy noise. After I change the tune I will get it out for a spin and see how loud it actually is.

pretty much all the time but much louder at full throttle. Going to the track tomorrow to see if I can improve on my time.

Back