Upshift light question

sts70004

What makes the upshift light turn on while driving. I got it when passing someone in 3rd gear. Definitely wasn't going over 110. Come to think of it, it did not illuminate at speeds well above 110 a month ago at the track...

What makes the upshift light turn on while driving. I got it when passing someone in 3rd gear. Definitely wasn't going over 110. Come to think of it, it did not illuminate at speeds well above 110 a month ago at the track...

It's engine speeds over a certain RPM, not road speeds.

What's the certain RPM? Dunno for a SC, but that's what the UPSHIFT light is triggered by.

RwP

It's engine speeds over a certain RPM, not road speeds.

What's the certain RPM? Dunno for a SC, but that's what the UPSHIFT light is triggered by.

RwP

On any other car I'd agree, I'm not dumb, and that's what the name implies, but on an sc it's not that simple. In fact I think it has nothing to do with shifting. Accelerating to the limiter in 2nd and 1st has yet to produce this light, but around 85 in 3rd gear did last night. Something I should be concerned about? Or is that just "personality" of the car?

Last edited:
I think it's load based or something, not RPM. I've mine come on at about 4100 rpm in 4th. Never seen it any other time.

Did a little research and this is what I've found:

"It's not a shift indicator, it's a warning to reduce the engine rpms within something like 20 seconds or the computer will start cutting fuel."

Hhmmm this is an interesting topic, as I don't remember my "upshipft" light ever lighting up or hearing the chime while driving the car.

I assume the upshift light works as I see it illuminate when I start the SC and I also hear that long chime.

I'd like to know how to trigger it, just to confirm its working :p

Hhmmm this is an interesting topic, as I don't remember my "upshipft" light ever lighting up or hearing the chime while driving the car.

I assume the upshift light works as I see it illuminate when I start the SC and I also hear that long chime.

I'd like to know how to trigger it, just to confirm its working :p

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure lol

I got an upshift light passing through the trap in a 1/4 run in 3rd gear ATX when I let up on the gas, it was high RPM with no load (not accelerating). I think around 4800 RPM's

Hmm strange. What triggers it specially, anyone know the set of conditions required?
I'd suggest a search and see if the old discussions shed any light on the subject. Since I've never had it happen on my cars, I just flat out don't know.

Here's some facts that should help.

The EEC lights the up arrow.

The EEC has no info about any gear as the AOD is fully hydraulic.
Likewise, the AOD has no knowledge of engine RPM.

The EEC may have input from the speed sensor, as the Arc module does.

EEC has RPM input.

2nd gear in the AOD can be locked in, with L-D-L, and the engine spun up on a stretch of roadway to see if RPM triggers the up-shift light.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a search and see if the old discussions shed any light on the subject. Since I've never had it happen on my cars, I just flat out don't know.

Here's some facts that should help.

The EEC lights the up arrow.

The EEC has no info about any gear as the AOD is fully hydraulic.
Likewise, the AOD has no knowledge of engine RPM.

The EEC may have input from the speed sensor, as the Arc module does.

EEC has RPM input.

2nd gear in the AOD can be locked in, with L-D-L, and the engine spun up on a stretch of roadway to see if RPM triggers the up-shift light.

This presumes that the UPSHIFT light does something with the AOD.

I'd have thought it was a M5R2 only light myself.

RwP

I've never seen it come on w/ my 5sp either. Remember an old S10 I had, the up arrow would come on @ around 2500ish...

with the stock tune the upshift light comes on under 2 conditions

1> the ecu is not getting a crank sensor signal

2> rpm exceeds the SHIRPM scalar when the transmission gear ratio is 1:1

in the L0E1 calibration SHIRPM has a value of 4100

the ecu calculates the gear ratio based on rpm and the vehicle speed sensor, it calculates this for autos and manuals

doing the 1-d-1 shuffle causes excessive transmission wear as 2nd and 1st are applied together, this is highly inadvisable, and useless as it will not trigger the upshift lamp

Last edited:
This presumes that the UPSHIFT light does something with the AOD.

I'd have thought it was a M5R2 only light myself.

RwP

It has come on from time to time in my 1990 AOD car. Only when accelerating very hard in 3rd gear. I don't recall what the speed was, but it was definitely not triple digits.

I must say, it's pretty distracting, which is not always good when you are accelerating very hard in 3rd gear! :rolleyes:

I will agree with you on that Steve. Mine came on last week on the freeway. Not full throttle or over 2500rpm.

doing the 1-d-1 shuffle causes excessive transmission wear as 2nd and 1st are applied together, this is highly inadvisable, and useless as it will not trigger the upshift lamp
As a general habit with WOT, id agree. With part throttle, i dont see how it would cause a problem.

None-the-less if upshift isn't triggered, I guess it doesnt matter. That being said, if its not tied to RPM, whats the point of the EEC logic?

The upshift light comes on at 4000 rpm in drive & OD. You have 30 seconds before it starts to cut off. I have hit it in OD too.

I posted a question about this back in 1999. Not sure who answered it, but the basic answer was that it was a warning that if you left the engine in that "state" much longer it would be harmed. I think it was Mr. Duffy that told me it was there because the SC could be used in Germany where it could be run flat out.

Living in New Mexico I got to test that light and it proved true. Running flat out with that light and tone on I pushed it a little more - it tried to downshift and killed the OD band. It did not drop cylinders after 20 or 30 seconds.

Please note that I did this when I was much younger.

I posted a question about this back in 1999. Not sure who answered it, but the basic answer was that it was a warning that if you left the engine in that "state" much longer it would be harmed. I think it was Mr. Duffy that told me it was there because the SC could be used in Germany where it could be run flat out.

Living in New Mexico I got to test that light and it proved true. Running flat out with that light and tone on I pushed it a little more - it tried to downshift and killed the OD band. It did not drop cylinders after 20 or 30 seconds.

Please note that I did this when I was much younger.

I think the transmission is sort of a separate issue, but I can see how the cooling system might get overwhelmed by running flat out for an extended period. Even with additional airflow, I think it might be outside the design parameters Ford chose to work with.

Back