calipers

Those are Lincoln Mark 8 / Tbird Sport brakes .. but I have heard people prefer the PBR Dual piston calipers on stock rotors over the Mark setup.

- Dan

Agreed. I've had the single piston Mark VIII brakes before the PBR's. The PBR feel like I stop a lot quicker. Pedal feels "better" too.

So are you saying that the PBR's go onto the SC rotors. Just got back into another SC 1990 and the brakes need improvement.

Stephen

When I installed the PBR's on my 90 I used the spindles and rotors from a 93+ Thunderbird. My 90's rotors were toast.

If I remember correctly the 90 rotors are different.

Also, the 90 ABS sensors were not long enough to reach the ring on the hub - so I spliced in 93+ ABS sensors. The sensor's connector on the 93 cable does not plug into the 90 harness connector.

Last edited:
When I installed the PBR's on my 90 I used the spindles and rotors from a 93+ Thunderbird. My 90's rotors were toast.

If I remember correctly the 90 rotors are different.

Also, the 90 ABS sensors were not long enough to reach the ring on the hub - so I spliced in 93+ ABS sensors. The sensor's connector on the 93 cable does not plug into the 90 harness connector.

The 89-90 rotors are different, but you can use 91+ hubs and rotors and then just order that year stuff in the future.

I dont remember for sure, but can't you realign the tone rings to reach the sensors? Of course, you would still have to deal with either mismatched wiring, or pressing out the 93+ sensors and pressing in the old ones, which I have heard is quite a bear.

The 89-90 rotors are different, but you can use 91+ hubs and rotors and then just order that year stuff in the future.

I dont remember for sure, but can't you realign the tone rings to reach the sensors? Of course, you would still have to deal with either mismatched wiring, or pressing out the 93+ sensors and pressing in the old ones, which I have heard is quite a bear.

Correction - 93+.

91 is the same as 89-90. 92 is supposedly also - I can check tomorrow while running the yards looking for a V8 instrument cluster for a 1991 or 1992.

It's not the tone ring (consider that both use the same tone ring on the same hub), but it's the connector to the body wiring AND the length of the cable.

RwP

Correction - 93+.

91 is the same as 89-90. 92 is supposedly also - I can check tomorrow while running the yards looking for a V8 instrument cluster for a 1991 or 1992.

It's not the tone ring (consider that both use the same tone ring on the same hub), but it's the connector to the body wiring AND the length of the cable.

RwP

Hi Ralph,

I was referring to the hub and rotor only, not the spindles and sensors. I am 100% sure that the 89 and 90 have a different diameter for the step where the rotor seats on the hub. But if proven wrong, I will recant. In your junkyard tour, bear in mind that some people may have already made the changeover because the 89-90 brake rotors were rare and expensive. If my car ends up in the junkyard, you will find 91 rotors and hubs on it! (Seriously, though, if my car ends up in the junkyard, it will probably be in a Chinese steel mill before anyone has time to figure out what year the rotors are from.)

Hi Ralph,

I was referring to the hub and rotor only, not the spindles and sensors. I am 100% sure that the 89 and 90 have a different diameter for the step where the rotor seats on the hub. But if proven wrong, I will recant. In your junkyard tour, bear in mind that some people may have already made the changeover because the 89-90 brake rotors were rare and expensive. If my car ends up in the junkyard, you will find 91 rotors and hubs on it! (Seriously, though, if my car ends up in the junkyard, it will probably be in a Chinese steel mill before anyone has time to figure out what year the rotors are from.)

Ah. Possibly. The previous comment was on the ABS sensors being different on the 93+ units (and they are!), and you then mentioned moving the tone ring. I put 2+2 and got 3.9683947302 or some such :D:D

Timken DOES list different part #s for the two series (89-90 and 91-97) on the front hub.

RwP

Back