Lifter Preload After New Head Gasket

JeepsterSC

Is it necessary to re-set lifter preload after a head gasket job. I made sure I kept the rocker arm, pedestal, pushrod, and bolt grouped by valve position, but the bolts require 1 to 1 1/4 turn from zero lash to 120 in/lbs

It had never occurred to me that I would need to do that, but it makes since that I would need to add shims to compensate for what has been milled from the bottom of the head

It had never occurred to me that I would need to do that, but it makes since that I would need to add shims to compensate for what has been milled from the bottom of the head

If you only had the heads resurfaced then the machine shop probably only took off about 4-6 thousands of an inch. I would say if that is teh case you should be able to just bolt the rockers back down with no need to go through the trouble of setting lash. If your cam profile didn't change, pushrods are still stock length, stock stamped steel rockers, then run those rockers down until tight.

See, when I did my head gaskets, "Lifter Preload" was an alien term to me. I definitely did nothing of the sort, just bolted everything back down with the proper torque. Guess I lucked out though, that was 30,000 miles ago and so far to my knowledge they're fine.

likely fine but

do you want to trust luck. If you have it apart check it. You would not put on a ball jt without checking the alignment thereafter would you? No, tires are too expensive. Well, so is a valve train or worse the motor. Check it and adj as necessary.

I ordered a set of shims Monday, so I'm gonna go ahead and stick shims under the ones that have more than one full turn. It shouldn't take too long

Back