Sealing the intercooler piping.

vaprobe87

Are there any gaskets for the conections for the piping coming to and from the intercooler? I'm going to be doing some work to my car today and tomorow and it seems like it would make the job alot easier if I remove the intercooler. Just by looking at it, it doesnt look like there are any gaskets there but I just want to be sure before I take it loose.

Thanks

Are there any gaskets for the conections for the piping coming to and from the intercooler? I'm going to be doing some work to my car today and tomorow and it seems like it would make the job alot easier if I remove the intercooler. Just by looking at it, it doesnt look like there are any gaskets there but I just want to be sure before I take it loose.

Thanks

There is a little strip of Teflon tape at each connection, installed at the factory. You need to seal them when you reassemble them. You can use RTV.

ok thanks.... About how long should I allow it to set before starting it up after I put it back together?

I really don't know ... I would say follow the instructions on the tube as closely as you can, but I know I have cheated it somewhat in the past ...

I have seen teflon leak, they can be tricky. If you just want it to seal go with RTV. Any will do, it wont exceed 400F. Light coat on both surfaces , assemble torque & go. I have started it up right after & had no leaks. It is a very tight fit so there is little chance of it pulling through.

I have seen teflon leak, they can be tricky. If you just want it to seal go with RTV. Any will do, it wont exceed 400F. Light coat on both surfaces , assemble torque & go. I have started it up right after & had no leaks. It is a very tight fit so there is little chance of it pulling through.

Ditto...I once swapped to a raised top at the track and went straight into the staging lanes to race after bolting it down. Never had a leak.

David

Althought I currently have the teflon gasket on the top, RTV does good job too. The tube joints seal well with the teflon gaskets. Get a set, you won't be sorry. Make sure the torque is right and the tubes are set. You can find them on ebay.

Gaskets

I just installed a set of teflon gaskets and I have to say I am not sold. I have previously sealed the tubes with clear silicone. Just a thin coating on 1 side. I have not had a problem with leaking or squeezing out into the air passage. I agree do it in a hurry and avoid moving the tube around in the jt.

I already put mine back together yesterday. When I took it apart it didnt have anything at all on there so Im sure it had to be leaking some. I just used a little bit of RTV when I put it back together and seems to be good. I put almost 200 miles on it today without a problem

While I had the intercooler off, I put a 7 inch electric fan on it that is supposed to be rated at 1500 CFM at 2200 RPM. Just by hand it feels like that little fan moves more air than the fan on the radiator so I'm happy with it.

I also took the radiator out and flushed it and took out the A/C condensor while I was there since all of the other parts of the A/C have been romoved except for the compressor. I'm planing on doing a A/C delete eventually too to get rid of the compressor

I like the Teflon gaskets on the IC tube connections, but I don't like it on the top. The stock blower case is so soft that the bolts love to pull right out of it. So you can't always torque the gasket sufficiently to seal. Even though I heli-coiled the blower case, I still use RTV (or the red anaerobic sealant) on that connection, and gaskets on the rest.

I like the Teflon gaskets on the IC tube connections, but I don't like it on the top. The stock blower case is so soft that the bolts love to pull right out of it. So you can't always torque the gasket sufficiently to seal. Even though I heli-coiled the blower case, I still use RTV (or the red anaerobic sealant) on that connection, and gaskets on the rest.

I agree, using a teflon gasket on the top makes no sense, because there just isn't enough clamping force.

David

Back