my turbo project

stangerbanger

Hey guys its time to start sharing my crazy project. This car is a 97 mustang that had a whole supercoupe engine, late model blower the whole nine yards. I decided to turbo it with a aftermarket gn turbo. Instead of putting the mustang single port stuff i am using the supercoupe intake and plenum. I took the flange off if the blower inlet for the throttle body and tig'ed it to where the ic pipe used to bolt to. So the throttle body is now on the driver side and the turbo is on the passenger side. The throttle body and linkage is already done and i will post pics as more comes along

The sc manifold is a bottleneck, but you have no choice to use it if you have a blower. You're not using a blower and therefore you can put the single port lower on. With a boxed upper and the singleport lower your are going to see a nice hp increase.

I agree, take advantage of the higher flowing intakes. I would swap to split port if the single port you have are near stock. Thats another 50hp+ there with a turbo.

To the op. your idea will work. It's been done before.looks ugly if you have the throttle body by the battery if that's what you're thinking of doing. I saw a thread a few years back of a guy that used the sc lower with the sc return plenum and a straight piece of pipe going from the plenum to the throttle body by the battery. Ugly as a dog but it woked. Didn't make much power tho.

Mild 3.8l, 9:1 cr, mild comp cam .490 lift, gasket matched splitport heads, windstar upper intake, and stock 86-87 gn turbo my car ran 89mph in the 1/8th and et'd 7.80's. This was also on 14psi and 93oct pump gas.

What aftermarket gn turbo are you using? Is this a stock unit?

It's the same as a 4431 but has a buick cover. 57mm compressor and t31 ex. Chris Torres pushed that turbo to 495rwhp on a 4.3 stroker on less than 20psi.

500whp on 20lbs? lol.. I make that on 12lbs.

Make or Made??

4431 is a small turbo. Actually the t31 ex wheel paired with a 57mm inducer is geared towards 4cyl engines and street use. It's not capable of supporting the mass flow a properlly built 4.3 stroker is capable of.

If I were to run that turbo on the setup I'm building my motor would swallow that turbo and piss it out. It will work on a mild 3.8 looking to make 400rwhp with killer spool though, what the op is building.

Back